How to house a grass spider.

MotherofPits

Arachnopeon
My coworkers found a spider in the store and instead of killing it they let me take it home. From what I can tell it's a grass spider. Also called a funnel web spider. And I think it's a male. I'll post pics later. Currently he's in a little deli dish and he's eaten two pinhead crickets.

I'd like to try my hand at housing him but I have never kept a spider before. What kind of enclosure does he need?

MotherofPits

Arachnopeon
Anyone? I'd like to get him set up asap and I need to know enclosure size, substrate, temp and humidity requirements, feeding, and anything else I should include in the enclosure for him to feel comfortable.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
We're going to need more info. Unless it has it's own web however, it's not a grass spider (Agelena). They aren't capable of catching prey without their web as a rule.

If it is an Agelena they tolerate a very wide variety of environments. A flat area to build a web pretty much sums it up, but not bare earth. Leaves, grass, bushes. They tolerate any degree of moisture but also thrive in very arid environments.

They do not need a substrate as they avoid the ground.

Last edited:

MotherofPits

Arachnopeon
He had put some strands in the deli cup. I'll get a picture of him but he looks identical to the spider on the ID site I used. One moment.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If it's a mature male, maybe better to let him go again to fulfill his purpose ;)