How to help a disabled spider eat?

JasperTheSpooder

Arachnopeon
So a couple days ago, I found a Ground Wolf Spider, whom I named Pax, on the floor of my basement with only half his legs, walking very slowly and falling over. I took him and and am trying to feed him flightless fruit flies, but he isn't fast enough to catch them. What should I do?

pongdict

Arachnosquire
What prey items do you have? I usually lightly crush the head of prey. It could also be that the spider isnt hungry. Did you also offer water?

JasperTheSpooder

Arachnopeon
What prey items do you have? I usually lightly crush the head of prey. It could also be that the spider isnt hungry. Did you also offer water?
We're in a big snowstorm, so I only have small flightless fruit flies at the moment, but I'll get new prey items soon. I would offer a water bowl, but I'm worried he'll fall in it (he's unbalanced because of his disability), so I'm just misting the enclosure for now. Or, I could soak a paper towel in water and put it in there?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
We're in a big snowstorm, so I only have small flightless fruit flies at the moment, but I'll get new prey items soon. I would offer a water bowl, but I'm worried he'll fall in it (he's unbalanced because of his disability), so I'm just misting the enclosure for now. Or, I could soak a paper towel in water and put it in there?
Misting is fine - they can drink from dew, so they can drink from droplets formed by mist.

If it seems to be trying to catch the fruit flies but is just too slow, you can chill the fruit flies for a bit in the fridge to slow them down before offering them to the spider.

JasperTheSpooder

Arachnopeon
Misting is fine - they can drink from dew, so they can drink from droplets formed by mist.

If it seems to be trying to catch the fruit flies but is just too slow, you can chill the fruit flies for a bit in the fridge to slow them down before offering them to the spider.
I'll try that, thanks!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
They can take a pretty wide range of prey size, but since it’s slow, try something a little less than its abdomen size, and hobble it. Taking the back legs off crickets slows them down enormously.

JasperTheSpooder

Arachnopeon
They can take a pretty wide range of prey size, but since it’s slow, try something a little less than its abdomen size, and hobble it. Taking the back legs off crickets slows them down enormously.
Yes, I have a toad, so I learned that pretty quickly :)

A little less than it's abdomen size would be the size of a small wingless fruit fly (ground wold spiders are TINY).

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
They’ll certainly take prey larger than them if they can catch and subdue it, so something relatively slow and weak like a mealworm might be another option.

JasperTheSpooder

Arachnopeon
They’ll certainly take prey larger than them if they can catch and subdue it, so something relatively slow and weak like a mealworm might be another option.
Not sure I can do mealworms, they have pretty thick shells and ground wolfs are only about 1/2 inch long as adults, so I think maybe baby crickets and fruit flies?

pongdict

Arachnosquire
Maybe a waxworm? Or some sort of maggot, they should be soft enough? I havent tried them though.

JasperTheSpooder

Arachnopeon
Maybe a waxworm? Or some sort of maggot, they should be soft enough? I havent tried them though.
I would think that some sort of maggot would work, maybe a small waxworms they would be super easy for him to bite. Another question, how do I safely clean his enclosure and feed him? He can be fast (but off balance) when he wants to be.

pongdict

Arachnosquire
I would think that some sort of maggot would work, maybe a small waxworms they would be super easy for him to bite. Another question, how do I safely clean his enclosure and feed him? He can be fast (but off balance) when he wants to be.
Do it on the floor with catch cup ready. Make sure area is free of clutter/hiding spots. Use tongs to take out stuff in enclosure.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good on you for having a good heart OP. I hope the spider pulls through.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I like this idea, have done this before for elderly spiders that won't take prey if it isn't moving. As the insect starts to come out of its torpor and begins to move, perfect time for the spider to bite 👍