How to heat tarantulas

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, I was wondering how to heat my tarantulas? I can't use a heater, I gotta use something else like a heat mat, or a heat lamp, like, could I use a heat lamp, but place it where it doesn't shine on my tarantulas and cook them, just keep that area warm? I need help cause fall and winter is coming!!

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
space heater!!!! This works best for the winter in keeping room temps up...
As long as your comfortable and your not cold they should be fine!!!!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see you're in Texas. I'm over in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and really all they need here is to be kept at room temperature during the winter. I don't try heating unless it drops to below 70 in the room. Otherwise, I would use a space heater, too.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think they rate those amish heaters at $0.09 per hour to run them. They work great.

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
Hey do fluorescence lights work? Do they pose any danger or use too much electricity?

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Hey do fluorescence lights work? Do they pose any danger or use too much electricity?
They are okay for the T, but wont radiate off much heat..I also suggest the space heater. My room is at a constant 85 and I love it.

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
Hmmmm... I read somewhere where a T keeper kept a red heat lamp on his Ts and he said it worked fine cause Ts couldn't see red, so it didn't stress them out. Maybe I could use a red heat lamp like hanging from the wall or something? I hope I'm not getting on y'alls nerves :\

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If it gets below 70 in the house use a space heater with a cut off if it tips over like everyone else said. Yeah you could use a UTH on the side if they are in small enclosures place them in one big container or cabinet. Big tank it goes on the side, Cabinet it goes on the inside but make sure you get some kind of thermostat to keep it from over heating. If it goes out it can cook them or start a fire. Usually what I do when the herp room drops around December rather than heat the entire room is throw them in one large container with a heat mat strapped on and a thermostat set at 75 degrees. Easy enough.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use lights and always have. In my experience I see no evidence that light stresses out the tarantulas.

You could either use the CFL lights or LEDs. CFL's provide some heat while LED's provide little. Space heaters work pretty good. And then theres heat tape.
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
space heater!!!! This works best for the winter in keeping room temps up...
As long as your comfortable and your not cold they should be fine!!!!
Space heaters create hot-spots and dry the air out bad...I suggest a oil filled heater....just my opinion. oil filled heater is a lot better on the electric bill also.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Space heaters create hot-spots and dry the air out bad...I suggest a oil filled heater....just my opinion. oil filled heater is a lot better on the electric bill also.
Thanks for clearing that up. Yes the space heaters I use are oil filled heaters.

Last year I ran an electric heater with a fan and my electric bills got up to $400:eek:

I switched to oil filled and my wallet is not hurting anymore! lol.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I built a large, upright cabinet with double doors, installed a few light sockets, heat bulbs, and hooked it up to a rheostat.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I generally keep my t's at room temps.. It's been awesome here in FL weather wise sooooo I have been keeping the doors open.