How to get tiny orb weaver babies to eat

mantiscatamp

Arachnoknight
So. I have baby orb weevers and so far only one has eaten. From tweezers

They don't eat the food that gets cough in the webs and I can't easily feed with tweezers because they are so small.... I've had 1 success with tweezers (here IMG_20200513_180236784_BURST011~2.jpg IMG_20200513_180332874~2.jpg )

I mean you could say they aren't hungry but they r babies and hatched like a few days ago.

Also them patterns r so cute uwuw yellow n black.

Any help on how to feed such tiny lil things is appreciated.

But have mercy and don't bring pitchforks.

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I dunno much about the species or how they eat at that stage. But you could try dropping in a few prekilled items and seeing if they go for it. Just a thought.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
Orb weaver juvies are a little pain in the butt.

What I did is try to give them a big enough enclosure for them to make their famous popular orb webs, from there out simply throw little ants when they're small. As they increase in size, up the size of prey.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with @Marc Spider. I don’t keep orb weavers but I used to, and had consistent difficulty with getting them to build webs and your typical feeders like crickets will be difficult to entrap in the webs. Ants and small meal worms might be your best bet.

mmcguffi

Arachnopeon
fruit flies (the smaller ones, Drosophila melanogaster) that are available at pet stores work -- you can enclose all of the slings in the same container and dump in files every day or so for the first few instars. Flying flies work better (cuz, you know, orb webs), but most if not all fruit fly culture you buy in stores will be the flightless kind, which should still probably work

mantiscatamp

Arachnoknight
Yeah I've got some dumb flies
(tiny flying fruit flies)
in there and they just crawl across the web and don't get Caught
I don't think their webs r sticky enough