How to get Tarantula's from Amsterdam to U.S?

Ninjan

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I have the opportunity to meet with a breeder overseas and purchase some T. Blondi and P. Metallica at great prices (compared to U.S).

My question is, how can I get them back to the U.S? I have read some forums that spoke of putting them in your checked luggage, or even some that said you can put them in your carry on. Others have said just overnight them to yourself because its to risky to bring them on a plane.

I want to know what would be the best way for me to get them from Amsterdam back to the United States.

Thank you all so much!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You need a liscence to export from Europe to US.

All the suggestions you were given are illegal.

You wont find many people here who will condone that.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Just put them in your pants, no one will look there :troll:

In all seriousness though, if you're wanting to do things legally at the end of the day you'll probably be spending around the same (if not more?) that you would be if you were buying locally (on a national scale). That's why I'm assuming people don't usually buy overseas unless it's a species that you can only really GET overseas.

As stated...
All the suggestions you were given are illegal.

You wont find many people here who will condone that.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Now, aside for jokes (I'm serious) on my book what you said -- basically hide Theraphosidae -- is, if possible, even more reckless and quite frankly stupid, than ordering online from European sellers which basically is 'brown boxing' if you live in the U.S and you do that without all the permits/whatnot required.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I would just wait until someone sells them in the US. Never know what deals are going to be in the classifieds, could be as good as the overseas price. IF they find your T's being exported, I believe you can be fined and will take away your animals anyway. Personally, not worth the risk. Taking a T on a plane could severly stress them out, and brown-boxing can be found out. P. mets are around in the US quite a bit and T. blondi are IMO way too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninjan

Arachnopeon
I appreciate all of your replies. What exactly is brown boxing? Just shipping it to yourself anyway and hoping you don't get found out?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This thread is a violation of the TOS of this forum. Moderators will probably shut this down and OT gets a warning.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I appreciate all of your replies. What exactly is brown boxing? Just shipping it to yourself anyway and hoping you don't get found out?
Honestly, not sure if I'm allowed to say, but it is just shipping materials in an unmarked and plain "brown" box.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I appreciate all of your replies. What exactly is brown boxing?
Smuggling: animal smuggling, basically.

Happens when, from your Oregon, California, Vermont, Texas & whatnot house, you order (in this case Theraphosidae) animals from Europe. Or Asia, or whatever. Without the required, legit, import papers for doing that legally :-s

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello everyone! I have the opportunity to meet with a breeder overseas and purchase some T. Blondi and P. Metallica at great prices (compared to U.S).

My question is, how can I get them back to the U.S? I have read some forums that spoke of putting them in your checked luggage, or even some that said you can put them in your carry on. Others have said just overnight them to yourself because its to risky to bring them on a plane.

I want to know what would be the best way for me to get them from Amsterdam back to the United States.

Thank you all so much!
There's a difference between what you CAN do within the law, and what is ILLEGAL. All of what you described is illegal. See Advan's link above.