How to get into centipedes?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I am over all just curious about keeping centipedes. Long crawly things that slink around and bite the you know what out of you. I kinda want one but where do you start if you have no experience?

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Well I currently have a lot of perfect starter centipedes for sale that get reasonably big, are easy to care for and not on the Hot side of the venom scale. If you are interested PM me, I'll send you a list of species and full care info then we can go from there to find out what's best for you.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
First of all, welcome to the pede hobby! I assure you, you will not be disappointed.

Now, centipedes have quite a bad reputation, but they're no danger as long as you are sensible with them. They are also quite intelligent.

For beginners, Scolopendra cingulata and S. polymorpha are good choices; they get to a decent size, are fairly passive, and have a pretty weak venom anyway. On the other hand, steer clear of large Asian species such as S. dehaani and S. subspinipes. They are all very aggressive and have a powerful venom.

Maintenance is pretty simple, much more simple than T's IMO. Any container that is secure and taller than the pede is long will suffice, and you don't really need any décor, though a bit of bark for it to hide under is optional. Provide a water dish, and mist occasionally.

I imagine some of our experts will tune in sooner or later, good luck!

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Can they climb sterilite tubs? I feel like I did whenn starting with Ts, asking questions that seem dumb to experienced people.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I won't be getting one until I sell of some scorplings or Avic slings. Also mom said no centipedes :( We'll just wait and see what happens.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Deep RUB, plenty of substrate, cork bark and long forceps.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
They can't climb smooth surfaces, but they will reach the rim if it's less than their body length. They can also chew through thin plastic, wedge through very narrow gaps, and push with quite some strength, so any weaknesses in the lid WILL result in an escaped centipede.

I would really stick to a species that won't hit 8" if it's your first, but that's just me. Unfortunately a lot of those spend much of their time under ground. If you're confident, go for something bigger, or a juvenile of a big species and learn as it grows.

Also, read up on the care for your species, permanent high humidity will kill some centipedes!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, in Italy (according to the arachnid/venomous invert community) a perfect starter centipede is Scolopendra cingulata, obviously a native one of the boot (and of Spain, Greece, and the whole Mediterranean area in general) because, even if the temperament, no jokes, is the same of others, more or less... at least the venom is mild (mild compared to other centipedes, like the Asian ones, because I suppose still more painful than the average 'grammo/brachy').

My opinion? Well... it's not like T's or scorpions, in that sense, where someone can choose between a pretty nice range of species for start. Therefore I suggest that, if you have really a no escape at all proof enclosure, you could try with Asian ones as well.

That's what I did, lol. And ain't sure was the best move, but however the experience with arachnids I have helped me a bit, even if those are completely different.

When they hunt, man... IMO it's impressive. Impressive. They are, hands down, brutal :kiss:

Anyway here you can count on Mastigoproctus advices, he knows centipedes best I tell you :)

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Where is Scolapendra hardwicki (did I spell that right?) on the venom potency scale? I like the colors on that one.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Guess that ones not for me then
Well, keep in mind that, on that sense, venom potency talking, as far as I know only S.cingulata is viewed "mild", but as I've said I suppose that "mild" is painful. Sure not like Asian centipedes of course :-s

Join the centipede army, man :)

Such a beauty :kiss: v

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
That polymorpha has nice colors, That would probably be my choice... If 1.) I had money and 2.) If mom would let more responsibilities in the house. She has a point though. 5 cats, two dogs, 2 lizards and 12 tarantulas is alot.

Stugy

Arachnolord
That polymorpha has nice colors, That would probably be my choice... If 1.) I had money and 2.) If mom would let more responsibilities in the house. She has a point though. 5 cats, two dogs, 2 lizards and 12 tarantulas is alot.
Those reasons are exactly how it is with my parents except I got no cats, 1 dog, no lizards, no tarantulas (yet).

Stugy

Arachnolord
So you only have centipedes (as of now)?
Well no... I'm still attempting to convince my parents to let me keep centipedes. I just have North American true spiders and 2 scorpions (probably 5 scorpions soon). Maybe next time I go visit my grandparents in New Mexico I can run around outside flipping rocks over like a maniac. Hopefully I can end up getting a S.polymorpha for free that way :p