How to get an H.Lividum off your back?

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
This is a real time question! I'm alone and have a cobalt on my back!! I'm probably going to get bit now ffs!! What do I do?

Attachments

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Just party with it. Trust me. (This is sarcastic) I have no idea what to do with a spider as spastic and in some cases, aggressive like that.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Get your paintbrush or straw, lay on your stomach, reach over your shoulder and try to usher it off of your back. Hopefully your catch cup is near.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just slowly and carefully remove your shirt while watching in the mirror. The spider will most likely stay where it is. It's as scared as you are. If it's still up by your neck, just wait for it to walk down a bit and remove shirt when it's no longer touching your skin. You'll both be fine.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I would sit down and wait for it to move on its own. Might be a good lesson in patience. I think if you try to take your top off it will move somewhere else and maybe even bite.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
Phew!!! Thanks for the advice guys! I laid on the floor and coaxed it off me! I literally sat with it on my back for over an hour! Cruella is still giving me grief though

Attachments

Vezon

Arachnopeon
While not in the same situation, I had an LP run up my arm and down my back (I was shirtless) while rehousing. At least your back isn't insanely itchy.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
How did it get on your back?
I was cleaning her water dish with the "roof off" with caution obviously and she bolted! She nearly made it under my bed, my crafty hand made sure she didn't but I nearly paid the price! So before you try and lecture me I wasn't poking it or anything...

Last edited by a moderator:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Just slowly and carefully remove your shirt while watching in the mirror. The spider will most likely stay where it is. It's as scared as you are. If it's still up by your neck, just wait for it to walk down a bit and remove shirt when it's no longer touching your skin. You'll both be fine.

I've had this happen a few times. Gently taking off your shirt is the best method. The 'wait it out' approach means it could crawl somewhere else where it's even less welcome, like in your hair or inside your shirt.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I've had this happen a few times. Gently taking off your shirt is the best method. The 'wait it out' approach means it could crawl somewhere else where it's even less welcome, like in your hair or inside your shirt.
In your experience Poec54, when one of those old world bitey species runs around on your body do you find they are more likely to run than bite?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
In your experience Poec54, when one of those old world bitey species runs around on your body do you find they are more likely to run than bite?

Never been bitten in all these decades, so they're definitely much more likely to run and hide than bite. That being said, it's not a relaxing experience having a tarantula somewhere on your back or in your clothes. Personally I couldn't wait an hour, or even half an hour, for them to crawl off me. They could get into a worse spot, or jump off onto something else in the room.

During cage transfers & maintenance I've had a few run up my arm and on my back, a few run up inside my shirt sleeve (one last week! a ), twice run inside my shirt from the front (Poecs) and one down my leg and up inside my pants (another Poec). If I handled spiders, it would be much more than this. But then, the vast majority of my collection is tropicals, and 2/3's are arboreal. I have a lot of fast ones.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You was lucky, man. I have reasons to believe that a bite in the neck area from 'Haplos' (and such) is a something serious scenario.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I´m glad it went well :)! Those Haplos are unpredictable. I had a H. minax running up my tongs and onto my arm while doing regular, everyday cage maintenance. It didn´t give any forewarning of being agitated or anything, then in a split second it was at my arm.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
However my experience with those Asian burrowers was always smooth. I've noticed that they tend to remain down under if you give those an helluva of substrate (a minimum of 8/9 inches I mean) I had never an issue in removing the water dish for cleaning or maintenance removing boluse check inspections. I always performed that during the day when those were in their burrow, of course.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
this happened to me once about 6 years. What I did was lay down, scream for my dad for help. He came in and brushed it off of my back...not until after I asked him to take some pictures.

It was my fault. I was young. I liked to handle ALL of my T's when I first started.

Some T's are not meant for beginners. While some beginners have no problem about "defensive" spiders, they will about the concept of "look, don't touch". Or at least I did at the time.

here is the pic

Last edited: