How to get a scorpion out of deep burrow?

LuckyTiger

Arachnopeon
I’m a first time owner and my juvenile scorps tank is way too big. I want to rehouse it now but the burrow is deep and elaborate. Does anybody know what to do? The substrate is maybe 4-5 inches deep and it reaches the bottom with a chamber the branches off towards the middle of the tank.

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
If you’re rehousing into something else, just scoop out substrate till you get close to him. Then scoop him up in cup

LuckyTiger

Arachnopeon
If you’re rehousing into something else, just scoop out substrate till you get close to him. Then scoop him up in cup
Thanks for your reply! Is there any risk of crushing it or collapsing the burrow? That’s my main fear.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
If it isn't still soft from a molt it should be fine. They regularly have to dig out their collapsed tunnels in the wild.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
the best way to dig it up is to gently remove the substrate with your hands (safer for the scorpion). Then you can use a catch cup/container etc to collect it.

LuckyTiger

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your help everyone! I managed to dig it out and rehouse it. I was really stressed out so I can only imagine how stressed the animal must be. Since rehousing it though I’ve seen it inspect the whole tank and use its water dish so I’m hoping that means it’s a healthy scorpion if it’s active right now?

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
it's just exploring its new enclosure, finding out where things are. If there's enough substrate, it'll probably start digging itself a new elaborate burrow system! And yes, if it's active now it's curious about its new surroundings and will probably take a few days to settle.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Thanks for your help everyone! I managed to dig it out and rehouse it. I was really stressed out so I can only imagine how stressed the animal must be. Since rehousing it though I’ve seen it inspect the whole tank and use its water dish so I’m hoping that means it’s a healthy scorpion if it’s active right now?
Yep. They do that. All you can do is just let her settle back in now.

DarkInvader

Arachnopeon
I would let it calm down and check out it's new digs for a few days before giving it food or moving anything else around.