How to find out if you are allergic or not?

ChromaDude

Arachnopeon
Hey everybody!

I was wondering how I can be sure, that I'm not allergic to my Chromatopelma. I've read that tarantula bites are only fatal, if you are allergic. I am slightly allergic to wasp-stings, so how do I know for sure? :confused:

Do I have to get myself checked some way at the doctor (I am going there soon anyway...) or can I find out some way myself?

Thanks! :worship:

PS: I'm new here, so I'm sorry if I posted this the wrong place... ;)

Vinnyg253

Arachnopeon
As far as I know, you can't be tested, you'll know if are bitten. I'd say don't get bitten.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Some say you can't be allergic. Search the forums and you'll find many interesting threads on the subject.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you're really worried about it get a script for an epi-pen (if you need a script) and have in on hand in case you do have an allergic reaction. They're about 80$ Canadian I don't know what they are there.

They're good they say for one year, but really they're good until the epinephrine starts to get milky (And even then in a real emergency you're better off trying to use it on the off chance it might work as per my SAR instructors, instructions)

Just remember if you do get one, and ever use it. Clip it to your collar after injecting in case you pass out before EMT gets there or you get to the hospital so they know you've had a shot already.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... how I can be sure, that I'm not allergic to my Chromatopelma. ...
If you perform a search of all the major medical databases (e.g., PubMed), and if you know how to hold your tongue just right (i.e., you know the secret to getting it to report the papers you really want), you may be able to find 4 references to allergic reactions to spider bites. Ever! The chances of you being allergic to any tarantula's bite is probably less than that of you being struck be a meteorite!

Worry about something more important, like being struck by a beer truck. :D

... I've read that tarantula bites are only fatal, if you are allergic. ...
They might be, but since no one is allergic we'll never know! ;)

And, no one has ever died of a tarantula bite since they abandoned blood letting as a valid medical treatment. And, I don't think the coincidence is necessarily a coincidence!

But if every one of these people immediately died from the tarantula bite they wouldn't have had a chance to report their bite. And again, we'd never know, correct? :?

... I am slightly allergic to wasp-stings, so how do I know for sure? :confused: ...
Lots of people who keep tarantulas are allergic to bee stings. A few of them have even reported to being bitten by their spiders. None of these people have ever reported a reaction to tarantula bites.

... Do I have to get myself checked some way at the doctor (I am going there soon anyway...) ...
I just had this visual of you walking into a doctor's office with a tarantula in a cage ... and immediately emptying the place!

Trust me. Doctors are ten times more ignorant about tarantula bites than you ever where. Leave it at that!

... or can I find out some way myself? ...
Didn't somebody else in this thread suggest getting bit? If no one else did, I just did. Then you'll know for sure. Otherwise both you and we will have to live in ignorance for the rest of our lives. {D

Forgive me for playing with you. It's been a tough few days and I needed the relief.

You worry too much. Relax and enjoy your little, 8-legged marvel!

Last edited: