How to find Lateodectus in northeast

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I found out that there are 2 species of latrodectus in my state-mactans and variolus. However, I’ve never seem a single specimen, so how do you find them? I’ve checked almost everywhere and have yet to even see a male.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I sort of gave up for now because it’s pretty cold but I’ve been looking in the woods, old sheds, abandoned structures, piles of wood/junk, and so on.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I sort of gave up for now because it’s pretty cold but I’ve been looking in the woods, old sheds, abandoned structures, piles of wood/junk, and so on.
Variolus are not found near human habitation generally. Check around the bases of trees and in natural debris piles in like 5 months. Mactans are more synanthropic. Check water meters, at the bases of structure, and structures that provide a safe area with lots of cover.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Conditions permitting, go find a location out in the woods or fields where there is debris/hiding holes and make a regular thing of going pee there. Not sure about Variolus but Hesperus and Mactans adore bathrooms and outhouses.

Since my last Variolus, found at a local golf course, I've been hard pressed to find another. It seems even the babies I released have vanished. What kind of woodland habitats do they prefer? There's a mix of conifers and deciduous trees where I live.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just about everything Variolus: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0201094
From scanning through that web site and others, it appears to be very hit or miss in finding them. Unlike the other Latrodectus species found in N.A., Variolus does not follow the typical metropolitan pattern. By going out and finding them and using the reporting procedures could contribute to better understanding this species and their preferred habitat(s).

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the only variolus i've found was in the middle of a forest on the SC coast. i've found mactans in/on/near human structures and in pretty large webs in forest undergrowth in NC

I guess there's a pretty decent population where I live so I've got my fingers crossed. What do you think I should sell them for? I know they're pretty hard to come by in the hobby so I'm sure they would be worth at least $15 a sling, maybe $20, but I've never sold my spiders before so idk.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I found out that there are 2 species of latrodectus in my state-mactans and variolus. However, I’ve never seem a single specimen, so how do you find them? I’ve checked almost everywhere and have yet to even see a male.
What state are you in?

Chinverts

Arachnopeon
Dont give up in the winter. I have the same 2 species where I live and have been catching them all winter. A good place to look is under those green drain pans people have under the gutters. I find alot there. This picture was last week

Attachments