how to feed cricket to salmon birdeater

Trevis

Arachnopeon
Ok i just got an adult salmon pink birdeater from.my friend...i plan to feed her adult cricket...but how many do i have to feed her and how many times guys? Do i have to crush the head before feed?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
That would depend on her size (DLS) adults regularly get 7-9" and at that size will eat 5-6 crickets every couple of weeks (no need to prekill)
Adults 4" and over will eat larger prey items as well dubia are a better choice than crickets if you have them available. A lot of times you can but them off of Craigslist in the quantity you need. They are easy to keep alive till you use them up.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
An adult should be able to handle live prey ... are you concerned she might be due to moult to want to crush heads? Do you know when she ate last? Also, does her rump look large and healthy (because that would determine how many I'd offer her). Pix are always nice....

Trevis

Arachnopeon
I just dont wwnt a cricket laying egg inside my enclosure...before i leave a live cricket inside my lividum enclosure and end up next morning my tank is full of tiny like ant cricket:(

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Then feed her males (they lack the ovipositor).

(though, crix lay eggs which take a while to hatch....)

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
I just dont wwnt a cricket laying egg inside my enclosure...before i leave a live cricket inside my lividum enclosure and end up next morning my tank is full of tiny like ant cricket:(
I use scissors to cut the ovipositors off at the base.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok i just got an adult salmon pink birdeater from.my friend...i plan to feed her adult cricket...but how many do i have to feed her and how many times guys? Do i have to crush the head before feed?
Some friend, not giving you the low down on feeding.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Simply not possible. That means you had eggs previously laid.

If you're worried, then crush the heads. It won't hurt anything. It's unneeded, though; a T. stirmi's feeding response is quite voracious. If you drop it near the spider, it's dinner.

That includes your finger, by the way.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
L.parahybana only stops feeding when near a molt or right after one. Drop a cricket next to it, if it is true to its genus it will catch the cricket in no time, and you can give another.

Trevis

Arachnopeon
L.parahybana only stops feeding when near a molt or right after one. Drop a cricket next to it, if it is true to its genus it will catch the cricket in no time, and you can give another.
So i have to let it eat one by one?

Jerry

Arachnobaron
So i have to let it eat one by one?

Im not sure about this sp but my A avic is good about catching multiple crickets and rounding them in to a large cricket meat ball so I would say no you can feed multiple crickets at one time he will be fine

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
post: 2499663, member: 115382"]So i have to let it eat one by one?
That is not necessary , but I always start with one to check if mine's hungry. It's easier to get one cricket out than three ;)

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Baby crickets will drown themselves in the water dish, anyway. No need to worry about that.

cold blood

Staff member
Ever since I've been doing it, I've yet to see cricket nymphs in my enclosure's.
Lol, I've never done that and I have yet to see baby crickets popping up in 15 years...lmfao, worrying about crickets "hatching" in the enclosure makes me chuckle a little. Even if crickets would be born, they'd just quickly die unless you were feeding them.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Lol, I've never done that and I have yet to see baby crickets popping up in 15 years...lmfao, worrying about crickets "hatching" in the enclosure makes me chuckle a little. Even if crickets would be born, they'd just quickly die unless you were feeding them.
Its not that I'm necessarily "worried", more that just as gnats I find them a nuisance in the enclosure's of specimen's that require moist substrate.