How to ensure a well fed small sling?

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, my Avic. Juruensis has been a great experience so far. However, typical measurements of nutrition are considerably more difficult given the size of the specimen, so I was curious if there are more behavioral suggestions to hint possible malnutrition. I've fed it about three to four times now since ancquiring it on January 26th, with the past incident having very little proof that they have actually consumed a bit of it. The prekilled worm did move slightly, and when I took it out I've noticed it was webbed, but that's more of a theory if anything. As of recently, it has been confined to its web cocoon and moving very little, only to readjust once in a while - in other words being a tarantula. Am I worrying to much, or should I try to provide food more often? The general consensus is that if hungry enough, even for being a .5" sling, they'll go out and scavenge. My suspicion is premolt, but the typical way to gauge such is a lot more difficult when dealing with such a small spider. Thanks guys, sorry for the newbie questions lol - I'm on my third tarantula and still scratching my head.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I find it's usually easier to judge premolt with slings in my care. Their abdomen to carapace ratio is usually larger then a juvi/adult when they're in premolt, because they put so much of their energy into growth and it's easier to see when their abdomen starts to darken up as they don't have the thick covering of setae yet. Has your avic sealed itself off?

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
I find it's usually easier to judge premolt with slings in my care. Their abdomen to carapace ratio is usually larger then a juvi/adult when they're in premolt, because they put so much of their energy into growth and it's easier to see when their abdomen starts to darken up as they don't have the thick covering of setae yet. Has your avic sealed itself off?
It seems to very much so, but there are still openings in its cocoon that allow it to traverse outside needbe. I can't really see it's body clearly due to my enclosure's material and setup, but the webbing certainly is enough to keep it away from anything and make it feel secure.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You can also try and get pinhead lateralis roaches and feed it them, my young avics readily took these.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
You can also try and get pinhead lateralis roaches and feed it them, my young avics readily took these.
Honestly not too sure that it's the prey though, I have my suspicions of premolt. I'll try lateralis eventually though, shall the case arise haha

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Honestly not too sure that it's the prey though, I have my suspicions of premolt. I'll try lateralis eventually though, shall the case arise haha
It probably is. We say lateralis nymphs because they don't burrow and their constant movement really triggers a sling's prey drive. If mine don't take a lateralis nymph within a few hours, 98.5% of the time it's in premolt (+/- 1.5% lol).

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Just feed it. No real need to feel defeated. Showin' it a cricket drumstick or meal worm at night. It doesn't matter who's wrong or who’s right. Just feed it.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Just feed it. No real need to feel defeated. Showin' it a cricket drumstick or meal worm at night. It doesn't matter who's wrong or who’s right. Just feed it.
It's got to show you that needs to be fed
You're playing with its life, this ain't no truth or dare
Forget about the fruit flies, get them out of your head
Just feed it, feed it, feed it, feed it
Just feed it !🎤

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
However, typical measurements of nutrition are considerably more difficult given the size of the specimen, so I was curious if there are more behavioral suggestions to hint possible malnutrition.
No need to over think.

1. Feed - live or pre killed
2. Provide water
3. Watch it molt
4. Watch it grow over time.