How to drill clean holes into plastic terrariums?

h55d

Arachnosquire
Hello, I've decided recently to drill my own holes into nice plastic boxes to make my own terrariums since we can't find anything really good for terrestrial Ts in Europe, but my issue is that the holes I drill are really ugly. I'm using a basic driller, and I just bought a metal drill bit which is a bit better but the main issue is that plastic goes out from the other side.

How do you guys drill clean holes without buying expansive tools?

Here is a photo of my tries

Attachments

jay444

Arachnosquire
For flexible and softer plastics, I poke holes with and a thumbtack and then make it bigger with a really small round lime. I know some people use soldering iron to make these kind of holes.
128527776_373942986998832_8704434917405629400_n.jpg 128491993_402945484460785_9042998286060450125_n.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
I use a soldering iron. Absolutely phenomenal. Fast, neat and no clean up. Just make sure you use it in a separate room to your pets with a window/door open for the fumes.

Worth spending £25-30 for a decent one than £10 for a cheapo. Tried that and the cheapo burnt out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello, I've decided recently to drill my own holes into nice plastic boxes to make my own terrariums since we can't find anything really good for terrestrial Ts in Europe, but my issue is that the holes I drill are really ugly. I'm using a basic driller, and I just bought a metal drill bit which is a bit better but the main issue is that plastic goes out from the other side.

How do you guys drill clean holes without buying expansive tools?

Here is a photo of my tries

You can't find anything in EU????? What's your criteria???????? EU has perfect glass cubes for cheap!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
a sharp razor blade to shave off the bits left and then maybe some fine grade(200) sandpaper

h55d

Arachnosquire
You can't find anything in EU????? What's your criteria???????? EU has perfect glass cubes for cheap!
I'm just looking for 30cm terrestrial T terrarium, what do you recommend? I can find small ones on amazon but I'm looking for bigger ones

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm just looking for 30cm terrestrial T terrarium, what do you recommend? I can find small ones on amazon but I'm looking for bigger ones
I've seen plenty of glass setups that are made, and sold on ebay, and likely other sites in the EU. Acrylic setups are usually more $$ in EU than the USA for some reason. Regardless, I like glass better for cleaning purposes, acrylic sucks compared to glass. I own both. I think EU hobby is far better off than across the pond.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
If you put tape on each side of the plastic and drill slow there should be no issue. If so, you can deburr with a razor blade.