How to disinfect tree bark for Terrariums.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
I hope this is the right place to put this post but does anyone know how to properly clean bark for it’s safe for any pets I get in the future.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
This is a very controversial topic in my experience...

Views will range from:
"Just throw it in, no need to disinfect"
To
"Sterilize everything, in the oven for hours!"

Personally speaking, I tend to be a bit more moderate: make sure there isn't anything obviously problematic on it, wash it and let it dry in the sun

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wash mine under running water to remove any loose stuff or dislodge any live critters that might be hiding inside, then I pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes to kill off any other hitchhikers I might have missed (mites and the like) and allow it to cool.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If your really concerned about it, then throw it into the oven @250 for an hour. Or don't worry about it and use as is.

sourpatchkid

Arachnopeon
I wash, then put it in the oven for an hour @300, then leave it in the oven overnight. You'd need an autoclave for proper sterility, but an oven bake will at least kill unwanted invertebrate.

T Lurksalot

Arachnopeon
I rinse all my bark with copious amounts of hot water in the bathtub, just in case it was exposed to anything toxic before I got it, then I bake at 200 for an hour to kill any mold or pests. Perhaps it’s unnecessary, but it’s not hard to do and gives me peace of mind.