how to catch the plentiful "pedes around my home..

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Ok,
I've told everyone about these little nastys. They are around my parent's home, as well. Now, what is a SAFE way that I may catch them? (Note; if I'm successful, they are open for adoption)
Peace,
Gillian

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
have you ever used a pit trap? you dig a hole......bury a 5 gallon bucket with the rim of the bucket level with the soil level.....check often, all kinds of neat stuff will fall in and be trapped......if you don't check the bucket often something may end up getting eaten.
Ed

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
have you ever used a pit trap? you dig a hole......bury a 5 gallon bucket with the rim of the bucket level with the soil level.....check often, all kinds of neat stuff will fall in and be trapped......if you don't check the bucket often something may end up getting eaten.
Ed
Ed,
Ooohh! Cool! I'll try that. However, I will probably have to wait until spring. I can't imagine anything being up and around now.

Peace,
Gillian

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
That's nice Gillian, get all our hopes up that something may be coming our way and then smash us into the dirt..... ;)

Let me know if you ever try it :)

Scott

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
That's nice Gillian, get all our hopes up that something may be coming our way and then smash us into the dirt..... ;)

Let me know if you ever try it :)

Scott
Sorry Scott..:(
However, I will let you know. I do notice that they are VERY plentiful in early fall. They seem to flock indoors. I did approach one, in my parent's house. It just lay there. Of course, catching them is one thing. Paking them for shipment, is quite another...

Peace,
Gillian

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gillian

What did you catch at your parent's home? Do you still have it?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Alonso,
Nothing, yet. I just couldn't bring myself to kill it. I pushed it (gently) into a mason jar, and released it outdoors. For some reason, since I started keeping tarantulas, I find myself highly releuctant to kill bugs.

Peace,
Gillian

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
For some reason, since I started keeping tarantulas, I find myself highly releuctant to kill bugs.

Peace,
Gillian
I know exactly what you mean. I used to hate daddy longlegs when I was a kid but since I started collecting Ts and scorps I have felt the same way. In this physics class that I'm a TA for, all of these girls were freaking out when they saw one and I caught it and ended up playing with it. :)