How to catch a funnel web spider

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
To catch a funnel web spider (do not let children do this) is you look under logs or large concrete pieces. Look for a blanket of silk, a burrow and a large spider (similar to a mouse spider). Then you need to get a jar and a stick and gently guide it into the jar (never use your fingers unless you want to get nipped) then close the lid on the jar and it’s all yours!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Hi mate! Glad to have another Aussie on the boards. Was surprised to see mention of funnelwebs as they don't get too much mention here!

Only issue with the above method is often times they have a burrow section that goes underground, so by the time you've lifted the log/rock they're already gone! I like to lure them out and use tweezers to close their burrow off.

I made this a few months ago to, feel free to contribute any funnelweb knowledge in the comments!
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/rezonants-guide-to-funnelwebs-care-venom-and-other-info.318990/

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Hi mate! Glad to have another Aussie on the boards. Was surprised to see mention of funnelwebs as they don't get too much mention here!

Only issue with the above method is often times they have a burrow section that goes underground, so by the time you've lifted the log/rock they're already gone! I like to lure them out and use tweezers to close their burrow off.

I made this a few months ago to, feel free to contribute any funnelweb knowledge in the comments!
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/rezonants-guide-to-funnelwebs-care-venom-and-other-info.318990/
thanks mate for the kind words! much appreciated. I'll probably post another thread about my E.rubripes ''Bob'' (my funnelweb's name is Scarlet if you're wondering if she has a name).

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
thanks mate for the kind words! much appreciated. I'll probably post another thread about my E.rubripes ''Bob'' (my funnelweb's name is Scarlet if you're wondering if she has a name).
Awesome! Any idea what species of funnelweb you have near you? There's a few I'm looking for atm

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I dunno about the potentially dangerous species of funnel webs, but the ones I have in USA are harmless. I normally bait them with an ant, when they come out and run up to the bait (ant, fly, etc) I swap them either with my hand or a jar and sometimes a stick.

A video if anyone is curious

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I dunno about the potentially dangerous species of funnel webs, but the ones I have in USA are harmless.
The "funnel weavers" in the U.S. are not only harmless, but they are not closely related to the "funnel web" spiders of Australia.

American funnel weavers are araneomorphs (true spiders) belonging to the family Agelenidae.

Australian funnel-web spiders are mygalomorphs (primitive spiders) belonging to the family Atracidae. (There are also some other mygalomorph spider families that are sometimes called funnel-web spiders.)

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
The "funnel weavers" in the U.S. are not only harmless, but they are not closely related to the "funnel web" spiders of Australia.

American funnel weavers are araneomorphs (true spiders) belonging to the family Agelenidae.

Australian funnel-web spiders are mygalomorphs (primitive spiders) belonging to the family Atracidae. (There are also some other mygalomorph spider families that are sometimes called funnel-web spiders.)
Of course they're not closely related however, they have a very similar web structure and hunting tactic. Let's put the hand capturing aside, a stick and jar technique with bait should do the trick

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Atracidae are really cautious, and if you mess up luring them once then they won't even slightly respond to the same lure again for ages. The moment they rush and hit the glass/plastic they just reverse at like 200 miles per hour. Their webbing is also much stronger than a funnel weaver one and leads underground which adds additional frustration

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the kind words mate! Yes I must say I am pleased about being a member here and making new friends as well!! Much appreciated mate!!!!

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Yes it most certainly is a hobby worth promoting you’re not wrong there! Anyway great to meet you as well

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Awesome! Any idea what species of funnelweb you have near you? There's a few I'm looking for atm
I think my funnel web spider is hadronyche infensa, I’m not too sure. I’ve got, believe it or not a “field guide to spiders of Australia” and I used it to try to identify the species and it looked a hell of a lot like hadronyche infensa. But in this species, both male and female in the species are both extremely dangerous and if bitten, use a PIB bandage and send for an ambulance. You require hospital treatment for the bite or you may even die!!

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
I dunno about the potentially dangerous species of funnel webs, but the ones I have in USA are harmless. I normally bait them with an ant, when they come out and run up to the bait (ant, fly, etc) I swap them either with my hand or a jar and sometimes a stick.

A video if anyone is curious
Australian funnel web bites require the pressure bandage and hospital treatment. The Sydney funnel web spider is capable of delivering an extremely painful bite and is more than capable of killing a full grown man within a few hours and a child in as little as 15 minutes if subsequent anti venom is not administered!

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Yep sweet, it's a great hobby and worth promoting, good luck and @RezonantVoid is the atrax master.
I was just wondering if Australian invert suppliers sell funnel web spiders? I am trying to help my friend whose funnel web spider died and he is too nervous to catch one. If you know any stores that stock live funnel web spiders, it would be much appreciated and he will be notified!!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I was just wondering if Australian invert suppliers sell funnel web spiders? I am trying to help my friend whose funnel web spider died and he is too nervous to catch one. If you know any stores that stock live funnel web spiders, it would be much appreciated and he will be notified!!
If he's okay with H.Valida I can get him one tomorrow as I'm looking for H.Formidabilis but there's tons of Valida around. I'd charge $45 for one and can sort out details later, let me know