How to: Cast a tarantula (or any object) in resin

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Sounds awesome for when my nonexisent T dies and I want to look at it for the rest of my life! :(

JonIverson

Arachnopeon
I'd recommend a electric pump. I've degassed mead before with a hand pump and it's not a lot of fun.

Here is a video that shows some of the process. You can likely find a lot of DIY videos for making one.
Thanks. I've come across videos now for using both vacuum and pressure, not sure which would be best as I can see benefits of using either method. In the meantime, I have a book on the way that I sure hope will clear up the uncertainties I have. It was recommended way earlier in the thread, but not sure if anyone ever bought it and tried the methods used (I'd sure be interested in hearing about your experiences if you did). In the meantime, a video along the lines of what most of you would probably cast.

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
I know this is an old thread, but I have a T. pruriens that just molted out as a MM. Since there seems to be no interest in breeding him, I'm looking into this and fell over this paper.
Thought you guys might be interested.
They did note the following on casting spiders: "... The spiders (Latrodectus sp. (Walckenaer) (Araneae: Theridiidae) and Loxosceles sp. (Heineken & Lowe) (Araneae: Sicariidae)) did not yield a good result—air gaps formed around the specimen and resulted in a distorted view."

Last edited:

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Again.. old thread.. but has anyone read anywhere about maybe soaking them in something like honey? Will the colors brown out like what others reported when they casted them?

My recent visit to japan reminded me of what i got on my first visit 21 years ago..
Went back to visit last year again! Beautiful country man! U guys should visit if u havent! Natives are very very polite and the food was the best! Visited africa, south america and most European countries.. and in my humble opinion, i had the funnest time in japan! Disturbingly clean too.. Some large cities like tokyo will make u feel like u traveled 20 years into the future. Sorry for the veer in topic.. anywho..

Check out what i got in Japan 21 years ago! A japanese giant wasp submerged in honey! Got it in kyushu (island) off japan.. too many monkeys there that run into convenience stores to steal treats! Just dont stare into their eyes.. and they wont rip ur face off! Lol!
Well.. i noticed that when i tilt the honey and expose the abdomen to the air.. the color looks like it hasnt changed.. it appears to have retained the color of what these guys look like from photos.. maybe honey might be an option?

Attachments

Last edited:

obie

Arachnosquire
Again.. old thread.. but has anyone read anywhere about maybe soaking them in something like honey? Will the colors brown out like what others reported when they casted them?

My recent visit to japan reminded me of what i got on my first visit 21 years ago..
Went back to visit last year again! Beautiful country man! U guys should visit if u havent! Natives are very very polite and the food was the best! Visited africa, south america and most European countries.. and in my humble opinion, i had the funnest time in japan! Disturbingly clean too.. Some large cities like tokyo will make u feel like u traveled 20 years into the future. Sorry for the veer in topic.. anywho..

Check out what i got in Japan 21 years ago! A japanese giant wasp submerged in honey! Got it in kyushu (island) off japan.. too many monkeys there that run into convenience stores to steal treats! Just dont stare into their eyes.. and they wont rip ur face off! Lol!
Well.. i noticed that when i tilt the honey and expose the abdomen to the air.. the color looks like it hasnt changed.. it appears to have retained the color of what these guys look like from photos.. maybe honey might be an option?
Never hear of that, but I believe honey Never expires or something like that. I believe they found some in a egyptian tomb that was still good. So maybe. I might give it a try with one of my assassin bugs that just died.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Never hear of that, but I believe honey Never expires or something like that. I believe they found some in a egyptian tomb that was still good. So maybe. I might give it a try with one of my assassin bugs that just died.
Yep! I read about honey still being edible when they opened up king tuts tomb.. i wonder if honey can destroy the pigments on our T's... any bio chemists here that can chime in?

Mermaid2016

Arachnopeon
So I just recently got a tarantula sling was wondering if I can use "rock cave" that I made out of resin as a hide?