how to care for sling 1cm

Trevis

Arachnopeon
Guys just got my sling 1cm size...how to give it a proper care...i mean the enclosure and water...

Trenor

Arachnoprince
We need to know what kind of sling it is so we can help. Different Ts require different enclosures and care.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At that size id say care is fairly generic, 20 dram vial, some coco fiber , flies, pinheads or roach nymphs depending on what you've got, if it's a burrower more coco , arboreal less coco maybe a rolled up fake leaf. Feed stare at wait repeat ! Enjoy !

Trevis

Arachnopeon
If its terrestrial ,wat if the vial is too high can i put the substrate more then a half vial?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If its terrestrial ,wat if the vial is too high can i put the substrate more then a half vial?
Yes. You can always provide lots of substrate to compensate for high walls. I have spiderlings in vials where the substrate fills almost 3/4 of the vial. They have a much higher tendency to burrow as spiderlings too, so they like lots of substrate.
Some people use tiny Monopoly houses or Lego pieces for a water dish. Some people keep part of the substrate damper. I like to put a damp piece of sphagnum moss in if space is not available. I just dribble water onto the moss, with a syringe, when it dries out.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
At that size id say care is fairly generic, 20 dram vial, some coco fiber , flies, pinheads or roach nymphs depending on what you've got, if it's a burrower more coco , arboreal less coco maybe a rolled up fake leaf. Feed stare at wait repeat ! Enjoy !
That would work for most species but some like Avics I tend to keep different even as tiny slings. You can always give better advice the more you know. :)

As both of your sling species like to burrow (at least early on) more substrate is good. Just leave some room for feeding and for the soil the T will dig out as he burrows. Like VanessaS said long moss works good for watering or just moisten the substrate some. At that size I'd cut up prey to get the correct feeding size and let it scavenge.

Good luck.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think you should determine if your Ts are arboreal or terrestrial as your message indicates you don't know.

You can increase sub height.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He did follow up with the species in a subsequent post...
No, the writing and sequence of posts does not provide the reader an indication that the posters knows the info I suggested s/he learn. Read again and my quote.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hey @Trevis, might I suggest that you do the extensive research required on the species that you have - especially the African one - before they get much bigger than they are now?
You're going to need it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
C. darlingi is an obligate burrower - provide plenty of substrate. Also be prepared for a fast growing T that has potent venom. A bite from an adult will cause quite a bit of pain in an adult man, and could very possibly kill household pets.

Just a heads up, in case you didn't do research on the species beforehand. It's more than a "cool spider with a horn" when it has this kind of capability.

Trevis

Arachnopeon
Yea i did research on old world tarantula...for now i just cut my mealworm smaller pieces and drop in,some tell me not to damp the susbstrate whats the purpose for the substrate damp,is it drinking purpose?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yea i did research on old world tarantula...for now i just cut my mealworm smaller pieces and drop in,some tell me not to damp the susbstrate whats the purpose for the substrate damp,is it drinking purpose?
I have absolutely no idea what you're asking...

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
What? Okay, so what exactly are you asking, why people moisten the sub? Its so tiny tiny terrestrial/fossorial slings can drink. I would recommend doing it if you cant fit a dish in.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Spiderlings need a bit higher humidity - even the ones who grow up to be drier species and especially ones like the C. darlingi.