How to calm down a human specimen?

JuvenileHobbyist

Arachnopeon
20210517_192903.jpg 20210517_192914.jpg
The dimensions of the enclosure are 24x16x12,Cm (LxWxH)
Since i still have to put everything in I'd appreciate some recommendations, also if i have to add more holes.

you just over complicated t keeping for a new keeper.
It's still useful information for the future, and i do get from this thread that humidity plays a part but i shouldn't focus to much on it, a water dish + a light mist in a corner once a week should suffice for where i live if I'm correct.
This thread also made me realize that some T topics are a bit controversial :rofl:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
It's still useful information for the future, and i do get from this thread that humidity plays a part but i shouldn't focus to much on it, a water dish + a light mist in a corner once a week should suffice for where i live if I'm correct.
This thread also made me realize that some T topics are a bit controversial :rofl:
If you want to really get people upset on here take a photo of the T on your hand and say something like "My T loves to be handled, i let him out for a walk around and he enjoys just sitting with me" 😂
(you'll absolutely see this for yourself if you hang around on here)

sasker

Arachnoprince
Ac never helped me to cool off properly but if its enough for a T then I'll do so.
I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature. I live in Bulgaria and outside temps easily exceed 45 degrees in Summer. Yes, we do have AC, but it's not on all the time, and not when I am out. Just try to keep temps from rising as much as you can by closing the curtains and opening a window in the evening. It's not all day every day hot in the Netherlands and tarantulas can handle some fluctuations. I agree that the humid air in the Netherlands makes you sweaty and sticky when its hot, but that's not going to bother your tarantula.

Dus, maak je niet teveel zorgen. Het komt allemaal wel goed ;)

IronMaiden

Arachnopeon
I've been keeping for over a year now and I think Tarantulas are one of the most low maintenance pets there is. I know some species have more requirements. Most of my species come from dry areas in the wild so I don't fuss about humidity at all for my spiders. I would check out Tom Morans husbandry videos, This place is also good to find info.

Don't stress dude. Tarantula's really don't need all that much from us humans.

JuvenileHobbyist

Arachnopeon
I've read through it all folks and i must say this really does help me a lot, seeing how everyone had such an easy going time with these lovely animals does show me a lot and now I'm more excited then afraid.
I'm quite looking forward to it now, it's a bit scary to just delve into and sometimes they do still tend to scare me a bit when i watch some vids about it but after this thread I've calmed down a bit.

I would still like some tips and would appreciate if a few of you could look at the enclosure that i thought would suffice.

I thank all of you however and I'm grateful for all the help.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I've read through it all folks and i must say this really does help me a lot, seeing how everyone had such an easy going time with these lovely animals does show me a lot and now I'm more excited then afraid.
I'm quite looking forward to it now, it's a bit scary to just delve into and sometimes they do still tend to scare me a bit when i watch some vids about it but after this thread I've calmed down a bit.

I would still like some tips and would appreciate if a few of you could look at the enclosure that i thought would suffice.

I thank all of you however and I'm grateful for all the help.
There are some species that are a bit fussy, but overall one of best things about tarantulas is that they are so easy to keep and want for so little! This is probably why people keep so many, because There's honestly hardly any difference between the upkeep of one T or 5; you still have a colony of feeders to look after!

That said, just take your time and try not to build up your collection too quickly. It's super easy to get excited and buy lots and lots straight away because there's so many cool species, but buy 10 slings and a few years down the line they all suddenly grow up and there's nowhere for them to live.

When i consider buying another spider i ask myself "when this one is grown up, where will it go?" just enjoy the learning process and don't let what you enjoy turn into a nightmare.
Happy spoodering!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
In the summer it can reach up to about 32C In my room
Shouldn't be an issue tbh, it hit 33°C in here for 3 straight days last summer and all 60+ tarantulas coped with it better than I did.

Most worries about temps come from that stupid "If you're comfortable then they're comfortable" rule that gets thrown around all the time, the vast majority of species are fine anywhere between 18°C - 35°C and several species can cope with daytime highs/overnight lows outside of this range.

Both species can be kept on dry substrate with a water dish once they hit 4-5cm, you don't need to do anything else for them.

Misting is a waste of time/effort and basically does little more than annoy the tarantula (you're basically firing pressurised air and water into a confined space housing a walking sensory organ with fangs) and kick up previously discarded urticating hairs.

If you need to add moisture for a species then the best ways to do it are to either overflow the water dish or to pipette/pour/syringe water directly into the substrate so that it soaks into the deeper sub and takes longer to evaporate.

Thelankysrilankipokie

Arachnopeon
I am new to the hobby ...well I have been keeping for 2 years. When I started I followed every step mostly found on Arachnoboards, youtube, internet sources and others online and offline. This is important to mention when started with OW not NW because theyer was no people around me selling new worlds around me (previously had scorpions of sorts). I think when when it comes to keeping tarantulas it comes down to the key parts everyone has mentioned above. just temp, cross ventilation ,good housing , experience with species depending on confidence and reason ( I had a friend coach my rehousing dry runs and people rehouse OW t's for me I while I watched DO NOT ADVICE THIS BUT ITS ALL UP to the keepers) , WATER, clean environment, Spot cleaning , Caaaaalllllmmm rehousing and good food.

btw. first t's OBT and a H.mac

JuvenileHobbyist

Arachnopeon
I've noticed that for most it does look like a hobby that's not easy to just delve into but gives you a lot of joy when you're fully engaged with it. To me everything that offers outweighs the potential first months difficulty by a long shot.
I think I'm still to much of a newbie to get my hands on OW but I'd love to do so in the future. This thread also made me see that most of what I'm currently doing is enough.

I would still like to know if my enclosures are good though (please read up :rolleyes:)

And thanks for sharing your little story @Thelankysrilankipokie

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I disagree, for reasons I won’t address in this thread. Humidity is a by product, there is zero reason it even needs to be a thought in this hobby. You can’t keep moisture loving T’s in bone dry enclosures and just mist.....

and while there is debate on this topic that I would be willing to have, in a beginner thread, stating that it IS important only serves to complicate things for the new comer. There is zero reason they need to even think about humidity at this point.
you just over complicated t keeping for a new keeper.
Respectfully, I disagree. I fully understand why we tell new keepers to disregard RH values as specific values are impossible to maintain and they'll do more harm then good even attempting to maintain it. I don't believe I've caused confusion as we're all aligned on the proper husbandry methods around monitoring soil moisture vs monitoring RH values. I guess I'm just tired of seeing beginners fed the same white lie of "humidity doesn't matter, just overfill the water bowl" when one action directly begets the other. I understand the good intentions of the statement, but it's still a false statement that is antithetical to the purpose of these boards. All this being said, I do agree that this is not the thread to wade into these waters and I apologize for letting my frustrations get the better of me. My commitment is that I'll start working on a thread to explore this topic in depth and I'll tag you both for the discussion.

Thanks,
--Matt

I would still like to know if my enclosures are good though (please read up :rolleyes:)
We need to see them setup. On their own, they should be fine, but it's the substrate and decor we need to critique.

JuvenileHobbyist

Arachnopeon
We need to see them setup. On their own, they should be fine, but it's the substrate and decor we need to critique.
Ah gotcha, already thought that could pose an issue, Well i can't get such pictures ready yet as I'm waiting for everything to arrive. I can tell you what I'm going to put into it if it helps

cold blood

Staff member
Respectfully, I disagree. I fully understand why we tell new keepers to disregard RH values as specific values are impossible to maintain and they'll do more harm then good even attempting to maintain it. I don't believe I've caused confusion as we're all aligned on the proper husbandry methods around monitoring soil moisture vs monitoring RH values. I guess I'm just tired of seeing beginners fed the same white lie of "humidity doesn't matter, just overfill the water bowl" when one action directly begets the other. I understand the good intentions of the statement, but it's still a false statement that is antithetical to the purpose of these boards. All this being said, I do agree that this is not the thread to wade into these waters and I apologize for letting my frustrations get the better of me. My commitment is that I'll start working on a thread to explore this topic in depth and I'll tag you both for the discussion.

Thanks,
--Matt
No prob, I didn't get a sense of frustration from ya and you are always welcome to express your differing opinion, of course:)

What you said isn't factually incorrect, that's not what I meant, but since chasing, measuring and worrying about humidity tend to provide for a ton of issues with beginner keepers, and since measuring or even knowing won't actually help them in any way, I simply find it much simpler, and more direct to just talk about what does matter, and that is substrate moisture.

Almost all beginner, and many intermediate keepers would be better off had they never once heard the word humidity. When most hear about humidity, or read about it iin reference with ts, people instantly equate t keeping to a kind of science they need to dial in, like with many reptiles.

My humidity in my room bottoms out 9 months of the year (space heater) to under 10%, and it just doesn't matter at all, because I just keep the sub damp.

I respect your opinion, and don't disagree with you, I just don't think that the info helps new keepers, I think it complicates things for them and diverts their focus form where it should be...so I encourage a simpler approach, which is talking instead about what really matters when it comes to keeping ts alive....

substrate moisture....it dries, add water, or just keep it dry (depending on the species)

IMO if all care sheets said this ^ one simple sentence instead of posting humidity numbers, there would probably be tens of thousands of ts that lived a longer life.

That is by basic reason for moving people away from the term. JMO my friend;)

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Not intending to sound like a Geico commercial, but substrate moisture....it dries, add water, or just keep it dry (depending on the species) could have saved me a ton of money.