How strong is Usambara orange baboon Venom?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Too bad it's old, but I had a good suggestion upon reading : Why not simply try one of the other Pterinochilus sp? My lugardis and chordatuses were teddy bears compared to the OBT. Same genus, a bit milder...
My husband saw a P. lugardi at a LPS last week, maybe it would be worth going back. We already have a P. murinus that we got free with our first batch of spiderlings. We were pretty unsure about it, but other than the fact it has tried to escape/ run all over the place the two times we have rehoused it, it hasn't been vicious like their reputation.(it's not full grown though) We didn't know if we wanted to deal with a bigger Pterinochilus.(it is full grown) So, thank you for adding that to the thread, good to know.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Extremely fast, won't tolerate 'intrusion' into their space, and quick to bite, are some of the reasons this isn't "considered" a good T for beginners. I'm of the mindset that if you are a mature, responsible keeper then you should be able to care for any T with little trouble.

That being said, I've had a few P. murinus specimens that were complete babies. My current female was a sweetheart until she laid her first sac.

If you are nervous about the animal, I'd start with a sling. They are very hardy, even as slings, and this will allow you to adjust to the spider's behaviours without having to dive in headfirst.

pwilfort

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: How strong is Usambara orange baboon Venom?

Their bite is pretty bad go to the bite report here on the boards look under Usanbara and Read it.
I was one that have been bitten and it is not fun. It felt like a nail hitting you in the hand going through the skin. Even pass a month I still had cramps from it.
They are beautiful.
I just hatched out a bunch of B. vagans some where around 300 to 400 I'm guessing I just got in 1.000 pins for them.
I love these T's
Penney{D

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is what you will see every time you disturb it or it gets pissed at you.
Meet my monster and this will not hesitate to bite you........you wont see this running away from you
paul

Last edited:

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LMAO! How do people revive these threads and not know? Are they finding it in a search and responding or looking 600 pages deep. Weird.

pwilfort

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like the T spit! The reason I got bite was I looked in and I thought it was dead most of it's legs were under it so I reached in and it came up so fast and grab my finger and sank in. I was told they will play dead.
P)

tommy1959

Arachnopeon
Why are you posting on an old thread that doesn't even relate to what you're posting?

Create a new thread or search for threads that already exist that cover the same things you're asking (there are tons of them).

Obligatory smileys: ;P :) {D :cool: :? :clap: ;) :rolleyes: :}
Why dont you delete old posts????

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey spit...arent you the guy who posted like 3 threads on how you handled an andoctrous....i dont think you have any right to say "we dont need people like you in the hobby just because they have a hot bite" :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: coming from someone who pulled the stunt you did....:rolleyes:

also i know this is an old thread...but for all of those worried about an obt...wy? yeah they throw threat poses, yeah they have stronger venom..but it isnt deadly(i lived after my bite) but here is the TRUE scoop on OBT

1. when babies, you never see them nd are quick to run
2. they dont get an aditude till around 3 inches
3. they will still try and retreat before defending themselves
4. once the do get mad, they throw a nice threat pose and dont move and get so mad they lay on there back
5 you can predict them from a mile
6. worst case scenario...you get tagged...here is what happens.

- it hurts first
- then the area turns red and itches and burns
- you can start to feel the venom going up your arm(if bitten there) mainly hurting in the elbow area
-after an hour your heart beat picks up and the sweating kicks in
-the sweating picks up more and now your chest starts to hurt
-3hours later chest has calmed down still sweating but not much
-8 hours later you will feel severe muscle cramps(mainly in joints and legs) fingers will be stiff feeling
-12 hours later still muscle scramps but only once you relax(sleeping)
-48 hours later chest pains come and go off and on you will also feel like you just got over the flu or a bad cold with lots of body aches and pains
-72 hours later you will be fully recovered

this was all recorded by me when i was tagged by a 4.5 inch female(i was taking pictures of her and being carelss) so there...thats the true obt...nothing special..acually i belive my rose hair is alot less predictable.:rolleyes:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not everyone has the same reaction as you, Cody.
Not only does it depend on the individual, it depends on the quantity of venom injected.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes but i was giving that as a general "what you should expect" never did i say "this is exactly whats going to happen to you"

ive just seen so many post's like "how do i rehouse my OBT" or "should i get an obt as my first T"

you rehouse it with caution but dont be scared of them and no i dont reccomend them as a first T..but maybe as a 3 or 4th.

cbeard

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know this is old, but I met a guy that used to keep these guys and wanted to let me know this, because I had a pair that he had been bitten on the finger, and two years later he would still tense up and has trouble sleeping at night sense he has been bitten. Thats serious venom.. I know it is different for everyone but I would not take a chance.