how species specific is ur collection or is it random

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was looking over my collection of jems and i noticed i tend to choose my collection only from a few species....sooo it got me thinking to how other enthusiasts pick their collections....just food for thought

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
same here if it is interesting it's mine........and it seems everthing lately is interesting,it just doesn't stop{D

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Relatively new to hobby, I have all NW T's, 5 diff avis, 5 terrestrials. Within the next week or so, I plan on expanding with another 10, and then I'll go after a couple of African arboreal, and a poci.

I think everyone starts with a curiosity purchase, then go specific, then the madness sets in and then you go for what appeals to you regardless of what it is.

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I' m thinking of collecting all of the Brachypelma species.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My collection is chosen purely by what is available. We have so few spids for sale here - tho' that's changing - that within reason, I take what I can get. :wall:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well, i have random spiders now. but i want to get to where i have several Rio Grande Golds breeding and a couple of A. anax breeding. then i want some B. emilia and smithi just cause i like them . and i have a G. rosea ill keep cause she a big girl and very docile and easy to handle for showing at the schools. and I have a G. aureostriata sling that i will prob keep if its female or send of for 50/50 if male.
but my collection will be down to the Rio Grande Gold and A. anax for breeding , then if i can get a good female Singapore blue ill breed her too . and maybe a few brachys for breeding but thats about it. one day i may get a pokey not sure

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my collection is a pretty random mix . i have some ow and nw species . i pretty much get what looks cool to me .

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I collect what like. I have some terrestrials, some arboreals, some NW and some OW.

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like big spiders... I also like pretty colors.

Looking at my list, they usually fall into one of those two categories.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep only one tarantula. A Paraphysa scrofa female that I couldnt find when I sold my collection. But Im really only interested in Aphonopelmas that are native to Texas, specifically "sp Carlsbad Green".

When I did collect Ts, all I wanted to own were dwarf species. Cyriocosmus, Metriopelma, Holothele, and the like.

David DeVries

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an ecclectic blend right now. Mostly new world with a few others. I keep what I like. I am planning on trying to breed G. pulchra and maybe B. klaasi , P. platyomma, and B. cyanofemur in the future. It depends on how my slings turn out and what others might have available in the way of prospective mates. Other than that I just collect what catches my eye.

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Simple Needs

I choose my "T"s by how easy hey are to maintain. A hardy species is inportant for me because it really bums me out if one doesnt servive.I
like to purchase them as slings so I can watch them grow. My toughest "T"
to maintain is my A.Avic due to the humity and ventalation balance.
Jason

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pretty much just go for whatever I like. All personal taste for me.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I pick a little bit of everything. Whatever catches my interest, like color or size or snarky temperment. There are a few species I really like and which I'll be collecting all of, like the Avicularia, Pamphoebetus, and Poecs. Maybe Brachypelma. I like them but they make the hubby break out into welts.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a large variety right now. Although, I'm thinking about just keeping a few different species eventually. Little by little I'm trying to let go of some of the ones I've raised from slings, but that's hard to do.

When I first started in the hobby I bought things that were not very expensive. Now I try to only get what I really want. I usually choose by color, size, and whether or not they stay out in the open most of the time.

I have considered switching over to only arboreals, but I can't seem to part with some of my terrestrials.:wall:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
when i started keeping it was a lil bit of everything.now im mainly focused on keeping asian species.most of my collection consists of them now.so lots of haplopelma,poecilotheria ect...

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I mosly have NW T terrestrials I do have a few NW aboreals but slowly getting into OW I have 2 OW aboreals

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I collect by how much $$$ I have in my wallet at the time;P