How soon...

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
THis is probably a stupid question but how soon can I expect on average for my Lasiodora Parahybana to molt after her baldspot starts turning black? I havent dealt with this species before and I know they grow rapidly so i just wanted a ballpark figure.

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gosh that depends on so much... really it's size, temp., and how long it's been black.

I would say a week, but that's really throwing out a estimate. But not long, in any case.

Pauly

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
how big is your spider?
With mine, it's taken longer, the larger she has gotten. IME, they have a really voracious appetite, then once their abdomen turns black, it has taken mine anywhere from a few days (when she was 3-4") to a couple weeks (at 6" plus)
hope that helps!
Holley

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Assumption

Immortal Sin,

Would it be safe to assume that for all species? (NW w/ hairs, that is) I've got a T. blondi in th 6"-7" range. Her bald spot turned black a couple of week ago, but still no molting activity.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
good question Botar...
It's just an observation I've made, don't know how valid it is!
However, it would seem to make sense, since as they grow, they go longer in between molting.
So, to reiterate...I am *thinking* that they might stop eating longer before molting the larger they get. I'll have to start taking notes on feeding habits however to be able to corroborate it!

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long a spider takes to molt also has a lot to do with the temperature you are keeping it at.

How warm are you guys keeping your spiders?
Pauly

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My spiders are kept at room temperature and they always molt fine. i dont care how fast they grow. if it is slow then that is fine with me I just know that at room temp they have been doing fine.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paul Day
How long a spider takes to molt also has a lot to do with the temperature you are keeping it at.

How warm are you guys keeping your spiders?
Pauly
summer temps in my herp/invert room:
lows at night of around 72 to 75
highs in daytime of 85 to 92 (got up to 97 early this summer with no ill effects)

winter temps:
lows at night of around 70
highs in daytime of around 82 to 85
inverts get no extra heat/light other than ambient room temps and lighting from herp basking spotlights, heat mats, fluorescent lights.
Ed