How soon to start feeding slings?

Jkinros

Arachnopeon
Hello all, I have a few quick questions, I couldn't find answers or found mixed reviews. My versicolor slings had just molted into 2nd instar (when they finally look like fuzzy blue miniature tarantulas) last week. I have started separating them into individual containers. I do not have all of them separated, about a little less than half is still in the diy incubator. Question 1, how soon do these guys start eating each other? Question 2, how soon do they start eating? I have given the separated ones cricket legs to scavenge feed off of, but they do not show any interest. I don't want them to die of starvation and don't want them to start cannibalizing on each other either. 15934812804668499511755967666939.jpg 15934813842242630808198584240809.jpg
Thanks in advance for any info and advise.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I am not an expert but I have heard they can cannibalize eve before they are at this stage. Cricket legs are usually pretty easy to scavenge feed but I found my t's seem to prefer mealworm pieces. (maybe the juiciness is more enticing?) Just be sure they don't dry out. They look amazingly adorable- Congrats!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Question 1, how soon do these guys start eating each other?
They can literally eat each other at 1st instar, but should be separated at 2nd instar when they're fully developed. But the longer you leave them together, the higher the chance they'll eat each other.
Question 2, how soon do they start eating?
You can feed them at 2nd instar at the stage they are in now once they hardened up from molting out of 1st instar. You can feed cut meal worms or any sort of pre-killed prey for them to scavenge. I find that pin-head B. lateralis are best for C. versicolor slings as many of them won't take pre-killed prey as easily nor adapt as well into eating anything pre-killed in comparison to other species of slings.

Jkinros

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the input so far. I spray the side down every 2 days to make sure it doesn't dry out completely. I will try cut mealworms next to see if better response.

But the longer you leave them together, the higher the chance they'll eat each other.
Is it just versi that do this? I've had 2 a.avicularia slings together in 1 container for almost 3 months before I separated them, no problems.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Is it just versi that do this? I've had 2 a.avicularia slings together in 1 container for almost 3 months before I separated them, no problems.
Any species of slings has a possibility of cannibalism so it's not just one species of tarantula. The longer you keep tarantulas together, the more chances you're giving them to cannibalize.

cold blood

Staff member
Usually they don't want to eat their first meal till 10-12 days after molting to 2i..

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
They’re all different. I have one sling that will eat anything/every time I try. I have another that seems to like feeling the drive of starvation before hell eat and only takes b. Lateralis.

Jkinros

Arachnopeon
Great news. They have been eating the cricket legs. Now I have to separate the rest and then start feeding cut mealworms. Its prolly quicker than pulling legs off a bunch of crickets