How soon should I feed a new arrival?

5dice

Arachnopeon
Wow, has owning T's changed a lot since my last one! So much new (and better) information! I've owned T's before with good success. So I took a (big) dive into the world again, starting out with a P. metallica sling. It's about 1" (about the size of a quarter or slightly larger) right now, just arrived today. Enclosure is set up and it seems to be quite exploratory and not hiding or timid in any way (not that I've been a pest, just observing carefully). This is my first experience with a sling (so why not buy a really expensive one ?! ).

I've read about waiting a week for it to settle in. And I've seen plenty who feed ASAP. This little (fellow | gal) isn't hiding at all and seems active. Should I go ahead and toss a small dubai roach in tomorrow and see what happens? Or should I give it some settle time?

I purchased the enclosure from a reputable dealer, but man, seems complicated and risky to open and close. Will probably go get something less fancy, more simple that will easy stress on occupant and provider.

Thanks for the input! Glad to find so many avid caregivers here!

upload_2016-9-10_21-32-2.png

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, when I do things I dive right in. I do my research, but I commit. I'm sure this won't be my ONLY T. Although, I may opt for a more docile species for the next few. :D
didnt really make sense reading it but whatever. could you post a pic of the set up plz? you have zero experience with slings so making sure its set up well would make me feel better.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Judging by the pic it's an inverted amac box type enclosure? They usually get a bit easier to open the more often you do it. All my slings have taken food the same or very next day after being housed but every tarantula is different so if it doesn't eat just pull the feeder and try again in a couple of days

5dice

Arachnopeon
could you post a pic of the set up plz? you have zero experience with slings so making sure its set up well would make me feel better.
image.jpeg
Ignore the humidity. Humidifier is playing catch-up.
Can't say I like this style enclosure.

5dice

Arachnopeon
Judging by the pic it's an inverted amac box type enclosure? They usually get a bit easier to open the more often you do it. All my slings have taken food the same or very next day after being housed but every tarantula is different so if it doesn't eat just pull the feeder and try again in a couple of days
By inverted do you mean I should flip the orientation? Would make more sense but puts the vent really low.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
By inverted do you mean I should flip the orientation? Would make more sense but puts the vent really low.
No the way you have it is fine. It's 1 of Jamies enclosures right? That's the way you're supposed to set them up.

There are better enclosures for pokies though because they don't make their hides at the top of their enclosures so the advantage of an inverted amac box is lost. A 32oz deli container with some cork bark leaned against the side and a couple of inches of substrate would probably work better

5dice

Arachnopeon
No the way you have it is fine. It's 1 of Jamies enclosures right? That's the way you're supposed to set them up.

There are better enclosures for pokies though because they don't make their hides at the top of their enclosures so the advantage of an inverted amac box is lost. A 32oz deli container with some cork bark leaned against the side and a couple of inches of substrate would probably work better
Thanks. I think I'll go exploring for a better home for it tomorrow. Yes, it's from Jamie's. Tried single-sourcing the enclosure and sling from the same place. Oh well.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
View attachment 220099
Ignore the humidity. Humidifier is playing catch-up.
Can't say I like this style enclosure.

yeah, this style of enclosure works best for Avic's that always make their hides near the the top. Minimal substrate on the bottom and glue the plants and cork bark to the top. From what I understand Pokies will sometimes make a ground burrow at the base of the cork bark and build it up.

Welcome to the boards!. Beautiful species to start with :) It's definitely one of my dream species I just don't think I'm ready for OW yet hah.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Personally, I would move it to a 32 oz deli cup...much better for a Pokie and super cheap + easy to set up. Using that current setup for a P. metallica is just asking for trouble IMO. They tend to get spooked pretty easily (my 1.5" P. metallica sling is a complete spaz when disturbed and will do laps in its enclosure) and that would be bad with that enclosure as it wouldn't have anywhere to go for the most part when you open it up except for out, and Poecs are fast. It might seem calm now but its not worth it to bank on that being the norm and staying that way.

As far as feeding it depends on the species. I've found that OW slings tend to eat quicker than NW ones. I will generally wait a day or two just to let it get a bit acclimated and then try offering food. If it doesn't eat, wait another couple days and try again. You can also tell by its body language (out exploring or hunkered down in a corner, etc).

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Welcome back to the world of T's.
I usually base my first feeding on how quick the T appears to be settled in its new enclosure. This can vary a lot and may depend on the species. I am not that familiar with pokies. There is no need to panic though since all of them can go a ways with no food. If you give it a nice place for it to use as a hide this can be faster. Best of luck and enjoy your new T.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Wow, has owning T's changed a lot since my last one! So much new (and better) information! I've owned T's before with good success. So I took a (big) dive into the world again, starting out with a P. metallica sling. It's about 1" (about the size of a quarter or slightly larger) right now, just arrived today. Enclosure is set up and it seems to be quite exploratory and not hiding or timid in any way (not that I've been a pest, just observing carefully). This is my first experience with a sling (so why not buy a really expensive one ?! ).

I've read about waiting a week for it to settle in. And I've seen plenty who feed ASAP. This little (fellow | gal) isn't hiding at all and seems active. Should I go ahead and toss a small dubai roach in tomorrow and see what happens? Or should I give it some settle time?

I purchased the enclosure from a reputable dealer, but man, seems complicated and risky to open and close. Will probably go get something less fancy, more simple that will easy stress on occupant and provider.

View attachment 220095
I'm not sure how big your enclosure is but if your T is already hanging out on the wall he might not know the dubia is there and the dubia might burrow... For most aboreal slings that don't start out as burrowers I'd use crickets

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Several things you need to take into consideration.

1. Your enclosure is an invertered enclosure and it isn't setup right. Inverted enclosures require you to attach the items to the top (biggest part) sides so it can be taken off without disturbing the tarantulas home. Here is what that enclosure should look like. The corkbark, leaves, and moss are all glued to the sides for the T to web on.

2. I don't feel this is a good enclosure for a P.metallica sling. It is not an enclosure that you can close up quickly if you need to. All the pokies I have move down with disturbed and many, as slings, like to build dirt hides using their corkbark. This enclosure will not allow them to do that.

Because of that I'd recommend an enclosure set up like one of these.

5dice

Arachnopeon
image.jpeg So, today, I went and got a spice bottle, cleaned it out, and rehoused my sling. Tiny holes all around the top for ventilation. Screw on lid. Tossed in a dubia and he chased after it. But it hid in the moss. He's hungry. And hunting. Thanks for the input everyone!

Jamie's enclosure BROKE when opening it the very FIRST time?! I'm done with those. Good thing I was rehousing anyhow.

image.jpeg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what?

anyway, try when ever you want, usually a rehoused spider wont eat for a number of days will it is comfortable. :)
One would think that, and not necessarily be wrong in such advice. In my experience every sling I received ate the day (w/1 exception) it arrived.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
From what I understand Pokies will sometimes make a ground burrow at the base of the cork bark and build it up.

Yes. I've had hundreds of Poec slings & juveniles, almost all have lived on or under the substrate. In the OP's cage, the occupant will make periodic dashes for freedom across the floor. Not a good set up for a Poec, or any fast-running species.

I put all Poec slings in 32 oz deli cups with a couple rows of small holes on the upper sides, starting at 2nd instar (3/4" DLS). Inside is an inch of slightly moist substrate, a small piece of cork, a piece of plastic plant (Zoo Med vining type, cut to fit), & a small water bowl (none have ever drown). Keep the water bowl full and clean; I use a squirt bottle to fill them. I only use disposable plastic water bowls (lids from 16 oz water bottles for slings, and soufflé cups for juveniles/adults). Boluses and feces will be deposited/sprayed into them, and artsy-fartsy ceramic water bowls become breeding grounds for bacteria. Do little, is any, misting and then only lightly.

If you don't have forceps, get some. Use it for all your cage maintenance. Fingers don't belong in tarantula cages, especially OW's. Also keep a 32 oz deli cup in arm's reach at all times as a catch cup. You don't want to be looking around and fumbling for one when your spider is heading towards heavy furniture and appliances.

Years ago I used to maintain the adult tarantulas for an importer and an exotic pet store. One by one I'd transfer each of them into a clean 16 oz deli cup with a wet cottonball and a few crickets; almost all would be eating within seconds. A few tarantulas need a settle-in period (usually adults), but that's the exception. A thin, hungry spider rarely passes up a meal.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Depends. A good and general rule is to wait a couple of days for let the T/T's settle in, and that's IMO logic. Wouldn't harm no one. Still once I feed a 'GBB' after not even two hours of the unpacking from the expo, and she devoured the cricket.
Mah of course :-s

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

View attachment 220095
Put it in a 32 oz deli cup. The style you have it in, an Inverted AMAC container is a setup that many Avic enthusiasts like myself use for Avics, not for Pokis.

The primary reason is Poki's go to the ground when disturbed because they make their home at the bottom in captivity. Avics go up generally to make their homes.