How soon is too soon to rehouse after a molt?

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
So I'm in a precarious situation. My juvie female T Vagans molted over the weekend, and I'm ecstatic. Apparently someone else molted too.

I always try to remove superworms immediately if I don't see her eat it. The way I have her enclosure set up, it's really easy for them to bury themselves deep enough that I would have a problem getting it back out (Funny enough, she once burrowed pretty deep just to get to one I missed, but she didn't). One of them must have gotten away for real, because now on the edge of her enclosure I can clearly see a pupae.

Now it's actually in a place where I could probably grab it, but it's going to cause enough of a fuss that I might as well rehouse her. It's been a few days and her fangs hardened up, but she's not ready for a meal. I usually wait for the first meal after a molt before I re-house if I have to.

Given the situation as it is, what might you guys recommend? Should I just perform the rehouse and get it over with? I've been monitoring the situation so the beetle hasn't metamorphosed yet. I just don't want the situation to turn nasty if it happens overnight, before she's ready to put up a real fight.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
If her fangs are black, you can rehouse. Remember that when she’s not fully hardened she’s much more vulnerable to having her exoskeleton tear or be punctured. I’d say if you’re in doubt just grab the pupa and rehouse in a few days. In the future, crush the heads of the superworms before putting them in. They’ll still move around for a while but they won’t be able to hurt your T.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wait unit exo is hardened completely

Start crushing heads of super worms jeez

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Don’t leave feeders in for more than 24hrs and crush the head of super/meal worms your lucky your T is alive.

take the pupae out........?

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
I think I'll try to take the pupae out without disturbing her too much. The problem I have is that it's buried deep, and I might not be able to do it without her bolting out. I'm not sure she can even fit into her old crevice anymore. I'll try to show pics when I get home.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I think I'll try to take the pupae out without disturbing her too much. The problem I have is that it's buried deep, and I might not be able to do it without her bolting out. I'm not sure she can even fit into her old crevice anymore. I'll try to show pics when I get home.
If she's out and about, you can put a small cup or jar over her while you remove the pupae. Like others said, in the future crush their heads.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I agree, good after fangs are hard. Personally, I would wait until it got one meal in it.