How small is too small?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
At the end of the day it indeed doesn't matter, as long as our spiders are content and growing. I wasn't questioning your ideas, only trying for some interesting tarantula talk :)
No worries, I was just laying out what I know about the subject not objecting to what you wrote. :)

It would be interesting to see someone to take 200 or so slings and do a feeding trial. Divide them into groups and feed only one prey item to each group and have one group that gets a rotation of all the prey items. Keep them at the same temp and offer the same amount (by weight) of food. Then we could see if there is a difference when it comes to feeders. LPs would be a good choice for the task based on their price. :D

Estein

Arachnoknight
I've heard this a lot recently, but I've not seen any proof that mealies are better as far a plump slings and good growth rates go. I agree that mealies are good feeders but I get great growth rates with roaches and anyone who has seen my T photos knows I have fat slings. When it comes to Ts, I think temperature and adequate food is more important to growth than feeding one type of food over another.

I think feeders come more into play for reptiles and the like than they do for Ts.
I totally agree that, for practical purposes, the type of feeder isn't really important compared to amount and temp when it comes to Ts. And I haven't seen any data to suggest that one feeder is better than another either. When it comes to a a more nitty-gritty discussion--because what are we if not a bunch of devoted nerds--I do wonder if a higher fat content (like a mealworm) would mean not having to feed the same quantity of a different feeder. In a practical sense, who cares, because if you've got a colony what's a few more crickets/roaches/whatever. I am curious, though, because on a larger scale it would probably inform our understanding of a T's metabolism. Just food for thought :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Estein

Arachnoknight
It would be interesting to see someone to take 200 or so slings and do a feeding trial. Divide them into groups and feed only one prey item to each group and have one group that gets a rotation of all the prey items. Keep them at the same temp and offer the same amount (by weight) of food. Then we could see if there is a difference when it comes to feeders. LPs would be a good choice for the task based on their price. :D
I always think it's such a shame that there aren't more small-scale studies done in the hobby. This would be awesome!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There's also people here on AB who believe that if you handle Ts on a regular basis they get used to it and become docile, which is pretty much implying they have memory. I don't think it works that way in that particular case, but still, you're not alone :)
I believe a T can get used to different terrain, including handling. Not in the capacity that they get tame, but in the capacity that it is no longer a strange environment. Maybe (; lol

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I totally agree that, for practical purposes, the type of feeder isn't really important compared to amount and temp when it comes to Ts. And I haven't seen any data to suggest that one feeder is better than another either. When it comes to a a more nitty-gritty discussion--because what are we if not a bunch of devoted nerds--I do wonder if a higher fat content (like a mealworm) would mean not having to feed the same quantity of a different feeder. In a practical sense, who cares, because if you've got a colony what's a few more crickets/roaches/whatever. I am curious, though, because on a larger scale it would probably inform our understanding of a T's metabolism. Just food for thought :rolleyes:
I think this might have more with our ideas as people that eating fat will make you fat. So, we think a fatter prey item will plump up our Ts faster with less. It would be neat to have this done and see how it turns out.

Estein

Arachnoknight
I think this might have more with our ideas as people that eating fat will make you fat. So, we think a fatter prey item will plump up our Ts faster with less. It would be neat to have this done and see how it turns out.
Great thought--we have very little in common with tarantulas physiologically. I agree that I would love to see this done!