How small can Haplopelma males mature?

RichRollin

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, I've searched this topic and not found what Im looking for. I have a Haplopelma longipes that Im thinking is a mature male. I wasnt expecting him to mature this quickly, he's only about 4 inches DLS at the most.

Im admittedly not that experienced, I've only been keeping T's as an obsession (you all know what I mean) for a little over a year.

I've noticed he has red bulbs (?) under his palps and hasnt been interested in food since his last molt on 7/02. Is it safe to say he's a mature male? I bought him on 10/20/09 at .75 inch (second instar?) and as far as I know of, has molted five times since. I easily could have missed some molts. Is he big enough to be mature? Are the red bulbs a sign that he's mature?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello everyone, I've searched this topic and not found what Im looking for. I have a Haplopelma longipes that Im thinking is a mature male. I wasnt expecting him to mature this quickly, he's only about 4 inches DLS at the most.

Im admittedly not that experienced, I've only been keeping T's as an obsession (you all know what I mean) for a little over a year.

I've noticed he has red bulbs (?) under his palps and hasnt been interested in food since his last molt on 7/02. Is it safe to say he's a mature male? I bought him on 10/20/09 at .75 inch (second instar?) and as far as I know of, has molted five times since. I easily could have missed some molts. Is he big enough to be mature? Are the red bulbs a sign that he's mature?
Yep they can mature that size, is he looking really leggy too???

Usually when a male matures at a smaller body size than usual his legs make up for it which is advantageous for him :)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Most Haplopelma males mature around prob 2.5-3" legspan.although some of the larger species like hainanum and sp."Bach ma" can mature much much larger!
I recently had a hainanum male here who was close to 6-7" leg span.
-Chris

RichRollin

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help fellas. Im fairly certain now that he is mature. Only reason I was questioning myself was because of his size, but thats been cleared up. Thanks again, you guys have been very helpful.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the only disadvantage of small males is when mating with a huge females, sometimes they are too heavy for the males.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, i had a schmidti male who was extra small, and he did the job anyway with a huge female;)