How sick is my new tarantula?

PDX_Tarantulas

Arachnopeon
Just got a freebie from the local pet store. They figured it was defective because "the abdomen was bald and it was missing a leg". I am not even sure what kind of T it is.

I'm not too worried about the baldness and the missing leg, but there does seem to be a problem with one of the 'breathing slits' on the under side of the abdomen. Looks like it has sustained some damage. Anybody able to tell me if this is a life threatening injury and what might have caused it? Or is it a disease? The other 'breathing slit' appears to be a little bit swollen, too. I don't know what that means, either.

THIS LINK will show some pictures of a new addition to my little tarantula farm.

Any assistance in identifying the type and/or ideas about the injury would be appreciated. Thanks! CDB

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Seen this injury before and never had a death. However, maybe some people here have had a death from it.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think there is anything you can do. But I do recommend not handling him anymore. That is undue stress that can be avoided. Just offer food and keep a water dish handy and those damages should repair themselves on the next molt.
It just looks like that part of the book lung maybe did not detach from the last molt, but who knows.

"Breathing slits" are called book lungs.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm fairly new to t's but i have learned one thing over the past few years. they are pretty tough. i had a g. rosea sling that ended up due to my stupidity. loosing 3 legs if i remember right and both pedepulps. it lived and after a few molts was as good as new.
feed it, leave it be and hope for the best. after looking at the pics i think you may hold off the food for a while. it looks like its pretty plump. it dragging that around on stuff isn't going to help any.

Last edited:

PDX_Tarantulas

Arachnopeon
Just a follow-up. On July 7, 2007, the guy molted and the missing leg was regenerated. In addition, he went from a dingy brown-tan to a sparkling blue black. Cool!

Still hasn't eaten anything, though there are always a couple juicy crickets roaming around his habitat.

Here are some recent pics: http://spiders.cdbpdx.com/NEWBIE/

CDB

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just a follow-up. On July 7, 2007, the guy molted and the missing leg was regenerated. In addition, he went from a dingy brown-tan to a sparkling blue black. Cool!

Still hasn't eaten anything, though there are always a couple juicy crickets roaming around his habitat.

Here are some recent pics: http://spiders.cdbpdx.com/NEWBIE/

CDB
dont feed it for a couple weeks after a molt and dont leave crickets roaming around in the container, they may snack on your t

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow it looks great!! You took some really great pictures also.

I’ll second what Drachenjager said. When they are still soft from their molt they are defenseless against crickets, which will start nibbling on it. Its fangs wont harden for a couple weeks, going from white to black.

Steph

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks a lot better. I'm sure he will regain his appetite soon. The last one of those I seen in a pet store they wanted $100 for it. I told them that was a bit high.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great shots, love the transformation. I purchased one a 2" a couple of months ago for $13.00, 100 IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it still wet around that area like in the first picture or has it seemed to scab over some?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well she made it through a molt so that is a good sign. But it does seem like that wound is here to stay. Just keep an eye on it. There is not much else you can do.