How potent is the venom of C ricketti

Don Asjes

Arachnopeon
Does anyone no how potent the venom in a Cyclocosmia ricketti is? I had just acquired one and was wondering. I have gotten a couple different conflicting stories from they don’t know to really bad. Thank you

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Want to say I’ve read non lethal, but potent enough to be painful.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Mygalomorphs as a whole generally have pretty mild venom, genus such as Atrax, Hadronyche, Illawarra and Missulena are rare exceptions. Cyclocosmia is in the same family as Bothriocyrtum and Ummidia, both of which are mildly venomous, so I'd assume most, if not all of them would also be the same.

Out of curiosity, how will you be housing it?

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Would love to get my hands on one of those. Even though there a trapdoor they are still beautiful

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
No that they hid a lot. Basically there whole lives.
Ik lol, definitely ones you want to make a display setup for since it's the enclosure you'll be seeing the most. There's only 3 families in Australia I don't have yet, they are stunning animals

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Does anyone no how potent the venom in a Cyclocosmia ricketti is? I had just acquired one and was wondering. I have gotten a couple different conflicting stories from they don’t know to really bad. Thank you
“Even the smallest bite from ‘Cyclocosmia ricketti’ will instantly paralyze-“
-
Megamind

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
“Even the smallest bite from ‘Cyclocosmia ricketti’ will instantly paralyze-“ -Megamind
That contradicts everything I've seen about their venom, I'm guessing that quote is referring to the effects on their prey?

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Interesting. As much as I’m into tarantulas, I love true spider and other mygalamorphs. Only thing is in the us the market is so small even among native species. I mean florida has a Cyclocosmia sp why don’t we try to establish a captive bred species to sell and our pursweb spider lets establish those in us to. I’ve been looking for purse web spiders for so long and every time I see them they seem to be a few wild caught species and quickly get sold out. Why don’t we establish a captive bred community. Oops im kinda ranting 🤪

Last edited:

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not sure on the potency of C. ricketti but our natives (torreya and truncata) both seem to have very mild venom. I got bit by both and it only itched for a minute

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Not sure on the potency of C. ricketti but our natives (torreya and truncata) both seem to have very mild venom. I got bit by both and it only itched for a minute
What’s the habitat of these species. Tried to look for them in northern Florida. Couldn’t find one.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
What’s the habitat of these species. Tried to look for them in northern Florida. Couldn’t find one.
C.ricketti burrow into the sides of clay soil embankments in some parts of China, I imagine North American Cyclocosmia would be around similar areas.

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
C.ricketti burrow into the sides of clay soil embankments in some parts of China, I imagine North American Cyclocosmia would be around similar areas.
I find both species near creeks surrounded by deciduous forest. Their burrows are ridiculously hard to spot so even if you go to their habitat it'll be difficult to find.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Exponentially more, we have the most native mygalomorph species of any country with likely thousands still undescribed
When I did the major tour of Aus. 3 months in Darwin and the outback, including the Kakadu and Arnhemland, ............ unreal. A window into the distant past. Literally the land time forgot. I was thinking every day, there are animals here that in younger locales have evolved or died off, living in an unchanging habitat for nearly countless eons.