How often to feed

arachnophobespiderkeeper

Arachnosquire
So I haven't posted here in a while. But I've been meaning to ask. I got 2 slings, a B.Vagans and a B.Albo. My B.Albo is about.. hmm 1"+ maybe? i have to guess a bit since she always hides and its hard to actually measure her. And My B.Vagans is about 1/4" or so. maybe a bit bigger.

How often do you think I should be feeding them? as is, I've been feeding them killed mealworms. both of them have no problem with this it seems and are totally fine with them and always eat them. I usually buy small mealworms and cut it in half and one half goes to each spider, and I feed it about once a week, but a few times have waited 2 weeks to feed them just because im busy (this is only happened twice, its not a common occurance). I know some people feed them anywhere from every few days, to every 2 weeks, so im hoping its ok as I am now, but I'm also willing to feed them more often if you guys think they need it. I know the more you feed them, the faster they grow (and possibly shorter the lifespan) so I just wanted to know a good average amount of time to feed these spiders of their size.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I feed my slings 1-2 times per week. Sometimes they refuse the food and sometimes they eat. I like to regularly offer the food just in case they are hungry.

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
I also feed 1-2 times a week but there are also some who feed slings 2-3 times a week or even every day. With slings it really doesn't matter as long as they get enough. You can feed slings more because they'll put it towards growth so what you're doing is perfectly fine and what others do is also fine. Either way it works.

boina

Lady of the mites
I feed everyone only once a week, but bigger prey or two prey items if I'm sure they will take them, like after a molt. B. vagans and B. albo both grow reasonable fast, but not so fast that they would need to be stuffed as quickly as possible after a molt to not be underweight for the next molt.

I think the way you are feeding is perfectly fine.

cold blood

Staff member
When feeding pre killed mealworm pieces, you are offering larger, fattier meals, so once a week or even every two weeks is just fine. I feed the same way and usually feed every 10-14 days.......sometimes as soon as every 7 days.

If I were feeding small crickets for example, I would feed every 4-7 days.

I concur with boina, the way you are feeding is just fine.