How often to change bedding for AFS

BOSTONBRIAN

Arachnopeon
Just curious how often would you recommend changing out all flooring and bedding in the tank for a asian forest scorpion?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It’s not like hamsters or snakes that need of change beddings regularly, you can keep the same substrates as long as there is no problem with it.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
What bedding are you using? The word bedding scares me in this scenario

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
I use springtails with mine and virtually almost never do unless I move him to a larger enclosure, otherwise I just add a layer of fresh substrate to the top every so many months

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Basically never, unless you have a problem. I even transfer most of the substrate when I change enclosures because I have a nice springtail population and I don't want to re-populate a fresh batch of substrate if I don't have to.

BOSTONBRIAN

Arachnopeon
can I get some recommendations on what a basic setup I should start out with. I wanna get everything set up before I make the purchase. I have a 10 gallon tank. What should I fill it with? And how many inches. Also heating pad on bottom or side? On YouTube I've seen both.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I would fill it with at least 3 inches of substrate, however more is always better.
Heating pad on the side, NEVER put it on the bottom, arachnids burrow to cool down and they will just cook themselves. Most YouTube videos are full of bad information that will kill your scorpion.

BOSTONBRIAN

Arachnopeon
So bare with me with my drawing lol. When i place the mat on the side of the tank. Should i put the sensor on the same side? And should i place it on top of the substrate or should i be burying it? If so how far. Untitled.png

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I was looking at the Zilla 10 To 20 Gal Terrarium Heater and the Jumpstart Thermostat
I don't have any experience with either of those but they should work. I'd put the thermostat sensor in between the heat pad and the glass, otherwise it will get to hot and the scorpion might move it and make the heat pad unregulated.

BOSTONBRIAN

Arachnopeon
I don't have any experience with either of those but they should work. I'd put the thermostat sensor in between the heat pad and the glass, otherwise it will get to hot and the scorpion might move it and make the heat pad unregulated.
so the pad is outside and the sensor directly on the other side? Im just asking because this is all new to me.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
so the pad is outside and the sensor directly on the other side? Im just asking because this is all new to me.
The sticky side of the heat pad, where it comes in contact with the container. In order from the outside in: Heat pad, thermostat sensor, container.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Reallly? with the glass protection that gives it an actual reading on the inside?
What I do with situations like this is I set the temperature on the heat pad to a little higher than it needs to be, wait for it to balance out (maybe a half-hour to hour) and then check the temperature on the warm side. I then readjust to account for the temperature loss. Eventually you'll probably have it about 5-10*F higher than it actually is, though that depends on the glass.