how often should you ideally be changing the substrate?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i've heard various responses. let's get some tips on how to perhaps change it as least as possible.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have some that have been on the same substrate for 4 years. I usually dont change unless I rehouse them

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I only change the tank when I think it's to dirty or re house a T. I have some tanks that I have not changed in 4-5 years.
The only tip I can think of to lessen the amount of times you are going to change the substrate would be to try your best to remove prey remains. Those little balls will give you mites and mold here and there if you don't try to remove it. I keep somewhat dryer tanks so mold and mites have never been a problem.
Oh and you can also take a moist papertowel every now and then and clean the sides and scrub away the poo.

The only time I would change sooner is if I had a mystery outbreak from somewhere. Then I dump it all and wash the heck out of everything and start fresh.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I dont ever change my T's subby unless they're being rehoused. There's no need for it. In the wild, a T will live in the same burrow all its life, unless disturbed.
Tank maintenance for me consists of removing bolus (balls of leftover food), bits of crickets and any moults etc and any mould that forms, in the more humid ones.

Changing the substrate will only stress the T. Coz it means getting them out, destroying homes (webs, burrows etc) then putting them bk in.. spider's aren't like mice, rabbits rats etc.. who need cleaning out once a week.. There's just no need..

The only time i've cleaned mine out is for rehousing or if a tank has got mites in off of a cricket (which drives me MAD!!!!!!)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont ever change my T's subby unless they're being rehoused. There's no need for it. In the wild, a T will live in the same burrow all its life, unless disturbed.
Tank maintenance for me consists of removing bolus (balls of leftover food), bits of crickets and any moults etc and any mould that forms, in the more humid ones.

Changing the substrate will only stress the T. Coz it means getting them out, destroying homes (webs, burrows etc) then putting them bk in.. spider's aren't like mice, rabbits rats etc.. who need cleaning out once a week.. There's just no need..

The only time i've cleaned mine out is for rehousing or if a tank has got mites in off of a cricket (which drives me MAD!!!!!!)
the lady said it all and i do the same with no problems ;) %%% phil

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I think this is the ideal way to give maintenance, you don't need to change the substrate unless u rehouse. My oldest T has 3 years in the same tank without changes.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
4yrs?? I change mines out, maybe once or twice a year.
Get yourself a P. murinus, and I bet you change this habit. lol

Once in the permanent enclosure, it is just that "permanent". The substrate gets all food material removed regularly, webbing and poo are removed where accessible, mainly front glass. Water dish topped up during the week, and removed and cleaned weekly.

Unless I get an outbreak, I think I'll leave them be. They seem healthy and content.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer

May i ask... WHY?!??!
I like everything clean, no poo, no left overs. Sometimes, i just like to redecorate and that means cleanin out the substrate too.

Ottawaherp said:
Get yourself a P. murinus, and I bet you change this habit.
I have six, three adults and three juvs. I've never had a problem cleanin their enclosures, except with my pokies, especially the little ones. I had one run up my arm and inside my shirt last night. :D ...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My T cages, don't get thouroughly cleaned unless there is an outbreak of mites or mold, or some other nasties, otherwise I just leave it and remove the old prey items. Everything is and has worked out good for me.