how often 'should' someone feed fruit and veg to millipedes

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I usually give mine fresh veggies about once a week - and of course, the decaying wood and leaf litter in their cage is always available.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Whenever I have something extra such as an apple/pear core, watermelon rind, etc. and my other creatures are fed I'll throw it in there, but that isn't too often. In reality you can keep them on straight rotting wood and leaves permanently, although the supplemental food definitely does help to keep your specimens healthy and growing.

So to answer your question, there isn't really a set agreement on how often you should feed your specimens. It depends on how many millipedes you have to feed, the size of the millipedes in question, whether other supplemental foods are being offered (i.e liquid/powdered supplemental foods, protein, and so on), etc.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with @Arthroverts and @chanda, and would add that I aim for approximately twice a week for my millipedes, but it varies quite a bit, and I think that is probably much like it works out for millipedes in the wild.

rachmills

Arachnosquire
thanks everyone i was providing some veg 24/7 but i think ill reduce it to 2-4 nights a week. i give them grinded cuttle bone its mixed in the substrate sprinkled on food and when i take food out left on substrate slightly. what sources of protein do they like?

my substrate is a mix of 3 different millipede subs its quite woody/composty so i mix in spagnum moss on top and hundreds of oak leaves/rotting wood throughout

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yeah, they do not need supplemental foods 24/7. If you think about where they come from in nature, the likelihood of them getting to the fruits and veggies before "creature X" does is quite small.

Anyway, I use freshwater fish food flakes, though dog/cat food, dried shrimp, dead crickets (depending on the species in question), etc. would work just as well from my understanding.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

rachmills

Arachnosquire
i have purple ivory millipedes and 1 narceous americanus

dried shrimp may be a nice treat for them

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
i have purple ivory millipedes and 1 narceous americanus

dried shrimp may be a nice treat for them
My ivories love dried shrimp. They prefer river shrimp over baby shrimp, but they will eat up both.