How often should Aphonopelma juveniles be fed?

NoStoneUnturned Herps

Arachnopeon
I just got an Aphonopelma (not sure of exact species) juvenile the other day and I was wondering how often they should be fed since most sources don't give a clear answer. Thank you in advance!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I just got an Aphonopelma (not sure of exact species) juvenile the other day and I was wondering how often they should be fed since most sources don't give a clear answer. Thank you in advance!
Offer once every 1-2 weeks and see how it goes. It's hard to go wrong that way.

I just got a young female A. chalcodes two weeks ago. The first time I offered her food, she snatched it up immediately. The next week, she wanted nothing to do with it...climbed the side of the tank to get away from that roach that was touching her. :) Silly thing.

cold blood

Staff member
It depends on the feeders, larger prey means less feedings....that said, they have slower metabolisms, feed every 7-14 days. If you are feeding a large cricket or mealworm, feed every 7-10 days...if you feed superworm or larger roach, feed it every 2 weeks...But as it progresses and gains wright, you could reduce the size of prey and extend the time between even further...eventually it will refuse food and begin the pre-molt phase.

NoStoneUnturned Herps

Arachnopeon
Offer once every 1-2 weeks and see how it goes. It's hard to go wrong that way.

I just got a young female A. chalcodes two weeks ago. The first time I offered her food, she snatched it up immediately. The next week, she wanted nothing to do with it...climbed the side of the tank to get away from that roach that was touching her. :) Silly thing.
Ok thanks! When i first got her I placed a small cricket in and the next morning the cricket was gone so I'm assuming that she got it. So ill probably attempt to feed her again in a few days.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As often as they will eat. No need to keep them on some Nazi feeding regime. Their job is to grow up and be larger so they can evade predators.

user 666

Arachnobaron
It really depends on how many lizards you have and their size. Even a small lizard could eat anywhere from 1 to 5 tarantulas a month. :astonished: