How often do you see your P. irminia?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Somewhat new P. irminia (1'' sling atm). I've seen a lot of people saying they are a really secretive species. So just out of general curiosity, How often do you see yours? Also feel free to share any P. irminia stories and/or tips and tricks.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Both of mine are always out and about. One is a nearly full grown female, the other a 3/4" sling. They're just not big fans of dirt curtains like my other Psalmopoeus species.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my sling is usually peeking out but my 3.5" female is almost never out. built this giant dirt curtain and never leaves... mt one tip is to remember they are fast and defensive, pretty much a Poecilotheria without the bad venom.

Otis Driftwood

Arachnodeity
I have a 5.5" female and I allow her to make a really deep burrow so I hardly ever see her. However, I make sure I don't overfeed her so I can see those little orange toes peeking out when she's hungry. Definitely one of my favorites!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I didn't see mine from the time it was 3" until it was a mature male wandering.

Not exaggerating at all. So yeah, reclusive.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Mine is still a sling but it's out a decent amount. We'll see if it changes as it gets older.

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to have a mature female whom I never ever ever saw.

Slings are less secretive it seems but not by much.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I have a sling that is about 1.5" that I see pretty regularly but not because it is "out and about". Its because it created its dirt curtain hide on the back of its cork bark which leans up against the side of the enclosure (32 oz deli) and it actually webbed up a tube from its dirt curtain all the way up the cork bark attached to the enclosure sides. So it doesn't really come out of there much at all, but I still see it pretty regularly while its chilling in its "tube".

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I'm not really sure I have one except for the label, bolus, molts, and an occasional peek at these black/grey/orange legs peeking out. For all I know a family of "Littles " are in there manipulating a large set of puppet legs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Irminia is the 2nd most reclusive species I've owned, and the most photosensitive. My P. pulcher is out far more. I haven't owned an irminia that was out.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I got three slings when very tiny. Lost one to a bad molt early on. Heartbreaking as I really love psalmos. Least the two species I have. Anyway; The other two are always where I can see them. I keep their enclosures a little crowded so they feel safe with plenty of places to climb and scoot into cover as well as enough sub to muck around in. Consequently they must feel secure as they are always out and about. Ones about 1.5 inches now the other is 2 inches.
I am absolutely expecting them to hide more as they grow though. They are irminia after all :p

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My adult females are usually inside their silk retreats (the entire cages are covered in silk). I usually seen just their front legs at the entrance of the tunnel. Occasionally one will be out, but that's not a good thing, as they're high strung and will make a dash. If there's any obstacle or delay in getting to their retreat, I have no doubt they'd be over the sides and out in the blink of an eye.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I never see mine unless I look through the back of her cage, in between the cork bark slabs, and inside the webbing but once you spot them the colors and markings are absolutely outstanding. She does have a cool web which looks more like a pursweb spider than anything else but honestly I see my pet hole H. lividum more than her.

Mines has never shot fecal matter at me before but they are very fast so a capture cup is advised just incase they do bolt on you when transferring.

In conclusion they are a very beautiful species to own and are one of the must haves in the hobby IMO.

cold blood

Staff member
Sometimes I see mine at the burrow mouth...sometimes she's just gone....from last August till like March I never saw her....they're one of the more reclusive species for sure.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Both of mine are out the majority of the time. Will immediately bolt to their curtains of silk n sub at the slightest disturbance. Difficult to ever get a good photo of them. Only photo I have been able to get, female at just 3" dls.

Attachments

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Both of mine like to walk around a lot, often found chillin under the tops.

Edit-sorry I meant "wander around" wouldn't want anyone to catch offense by me personifying an arachnid...sorry I luvem.

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
My adult female pretty much never comes out. During breeding she did and then after hasn't since. Has walled off the opening of her log.... I'm expecting a sac at some point soon. They are reclusive as hell

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I raised two females from slings. One stayed burrowed until I traded her at about 3.5 inches. (She was a real bear to pack for shipping...) The other built walls of dirt curtains from a young sling. After rehousing into her adult enclosure a few years ago, she took up burrowing, eventually building a tube web up into her elevated cork round I see her about 4 times a year. She was out a couple of days ago posing on her cork round.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
i have 3 p irminia slings around the 1" mark. or at least i assume they are that big since i never see them. they all made their web and dirt curtain tubes the night after they were housed and i havent seen a single one out at any point since then probably 4 months at this point. adults im sure will be more visable but there little guys never show themselves for me

louise f

Arachnoangel
My AF she is almost at all times in her cork tube. Sometimes i see her come out at nights. Defo a reclusive spider.