How often do you see your P. irminia?

Alana

Arachnopeon
Are they more reclusive than other Psalmo species? I have slings of P. cambridgei, pulcher and reduncus at the moment. The pulcher and reduncus are always out and about, but the cambridgei spends all its time hidden away. I'm assuming they'll all get more reclusive as they get older? Or are some species on display more often?

louise f

Arachnoangel
Are they more reclusive than other Psalmo species? I have slings of P. cambridgei, pulcher and reduncus at the moment. The pulcher and reduncus are always out and about, but the cambridgei spends all its time hidden away. I'm assuming they'll all get more reclusive as they get older? Or are some species on display more often?
That`s funny i always see my AF P.cam out.
I have AF of irminia, cambridgei, reduncus, and pulcher. The irminia, pulcher, and reduncus is very reclusive. IME

Alana

Arachnopeon
That`s funny i always see my AF P.cam out.
I have AF of irminia, cambridgei, reduncus, and pulcher. The irminia, pulcher, and reduncus is very reclusive. IME
Ah, that's interesting, thank you. Hopefully my cambridgei will start coming out more as it gets bigger. I'm really loving the pulcher sling though, it's very active and great to watch. I'm planning to get an irminia sling next, they're stunning as adults, even if you don't really see them.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Ah, that's interesting, thank you. Hopefully my cambridgei will start coming out more as it gets bigger. I'm really loving the pulcher sling though, it's very active and great to watch. I'm planning to get an irminia sling next, they're stunning as adults, even if you don't really see them.
No problem, you wont regreat getting a P.irminia they are gorgeous with that orange versus black i loove it :kiss:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
weird, my 1" sling is out all the time. its weird if i dont see it 5 times a day. my female molted and came out once since the 21st of August.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
P. cambridgei, in my experience, isn't nearly as reclusive....as a sling they can be, but as they grow, they lose that...every adult I've had (or juvie for that matter) was almost always out in the open...constant hunting mode.
weird, my 1" sling is out all the time. its weird if i dont see it 5 times a day. my female molted and came out once since the 21st.
My experiences with irminia are basically the opposite....you see them more when they're small, the bigger they get, the more reclusive they get. My AF I mentioned not seeing for like 6 months, was always out when she was smaller...nope, that girl is gone, this "new" version of her hates to be seen.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
My experiences with irminia are basically the opposite....you see them more when they're small, the bigger they get, the more reclusive they get. My AF I mentioned not seeing for like 6 months, was always out when she was smaller...nope, that girl is gone, this "new" version of her hates to be seen.
thats what i just said.

Casey K

Arachnoknight
I have an adult female and I rarely see her....well, NEVER see her, actually..unless I'm feeding her. She hides behind her piece of cork bark at all times.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I have an adult female and I rarely see her....well, NEVER see her, actually..unless I'm feeding her. She hides behind her piece of cork bark at all times.
Can't you just rotate the enclosure around to get a view from the back? Thats what I did with the H. mac.

Casey K

Arachnoknight
Can't you just rotate the enclosure around to get a view from the back? Thats what I did with the H. mac.
Oh yes I can. Her entire enclosure is clear acrylic. She does have it webbed up a bit, though, so it's hard to see her. I never see her out and about during the day. At night I'm asleep so I can't say if she is very active during that time. She is so pretty, though. My other Psalmopeus sp. (cambridgei & pulcher) usually stayed out during the day. Awesome display arboreals.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Before rehousing, my then-subadult P.irminia had built some impressive dirt curtains. She got a hollow log for her new enclosure, and since then she does very little webbing. Morgana did build a dirt curtain over one entrance before molting but that's about it. She has two more points of entry and dug out a fourth one. She's also more out and about since, either hanging around on the log or patrolling. I guess she feels safe (to the extent an arachnid can feel) because of a good lair with multiple entrances. Generally, when I don't see her for a couple days, it's premolt.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
I have a 10cm female. I have a tube cork bark with entrance on top and a hole to the side. She made curtains by both entrances. Even if I take the enclosure down and look in from the top I can't see anything. I now have a pet log.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I have a 10cm female. I have a tube cork bark with entrance on top and a hole to the side. She made curtains by both entrances. Even if I take the enclosure down and look in from the top I can't see anything. I now have a pet log.
Yup, that's why I try to avoid all arboreals and most old worlds. Having a pet web or pet hole isn't fun.. especially considering how expensive some of them are.

P irminia are like ghosts, close to OBTs... always hiding. I made a vow to stay away from all Arboreal except C versicolor and P cambridgei. P cambridgei are pretty active and out as they mature unlike the rest in the Psalmopoeus genus

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
My juvenile female P. irminia was rather on the reclusive side. That doesn't mean I didn't have any chances to take a good look at her. I would often see her peeking out a bit from entrance of her hide, once or twice in few months she was even out. Usually she'd go back to her hide after touching the enclosure but not every time.
Also she's still a bold one, she won't mind running outside to snatch a prey.

Character might be different from specimen to specimen within the same species. My P. cambridgei which came out to be a male that matured recently was almost always in the open ever since I got him as 5cm DLS juvenile. Actually, as he grew he'd become more and more bold.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
4 year old thread hype :rofl:

I'll add in that my 4"+ girl can be spotted on a semi-regular basis; she's not out as much as my P. cam, but I can usually find her lounging out on the sides of her setup a couple times a week. I also keep my Ts in a dark closet though, so that may attribute to her less reclusive nature.