How often do you run your heater?

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!
So this is an update to a thread I posted a few days ago saying that I'll be getting my first tarantula soon and I was concerned about the temperature in my place (high 60s, low 70s) and people recommended getting a space heater. The thing is, I can't keep a space heater running 24/7. If I was to get a space heater, it would be this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-754200...000TKDQ5C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
and I was wondering now if you have to keep a space heater constantly running or if you could just turn it on for a little bit once every few hours. Thanks everyone!
EDIT: I'll be getting a B. Vagans sling

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Hi everyone!
So this is an update to a thread I posted a few days ago saying that I'll be getting my first tarantula soon and I was concerned about the temperature in my place (high 60s, low 70s) and people recommended getting a space heater. The thing is, I can't keep a space heater running 24/7. If I was to get a space heater, it would be this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-754200...000TKDQ5C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
and I was wondering now if you have to keep a space heater constantly running or if you could just turn it on for a little bit once every few hours. Thanks everyone!

Not all space heaters are safe to leave on while you´re gone. I have central heating in my building, but it´s always one day late to adjust the temperatures. If it´s a significant drop in outside temperatures (which it often is, as I live in cold and freezing Norway), I use my space heater. I use one like this: http://beha.no/Elvarme/Radiatorer/Oljefylt-radiator-ORC-2019

As for your heater, I have no idea how it works. We don´t have them here, at least I haven´t seen one.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Long live those that lives were Winters are that "The Witcher" lovely cold and snowy, but with the normal furnace on their T's are fine :-s

Aka me. Christ, even my S.subspinipes gave birth to brats just yesterday. I have almost 23° C, and it's night :)

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
Not all space heaters are safe to leave on while you´re gone. I have central heating in my building, but it´s always one day late to adjust the temperatures. If it´s a significant drop in outside temperatures (which it often is, as I live in cold and freezing Norway), I use my space heater. I use one like this: http://beha.no/Elvarme/Radiatorer/Oljefylt-radiator-ORC-2019

As for your heater, I have no idea how it works. We don´t have them here, at least I haven´t seen one.
So do you just leave the T at room temperature and only use the space heater when it's really cold?

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
Long live those that lives were Winters are that "The Witcher" lovely cold and snowy, but with the normal furnace on their T's are fine :-s

Aka me. Christ, even my S.subspinipes gave birth to brats just yesterday. I have almost 23° C, and it's night :)
Okay, so it would be fine to just only use a space heater when there's a drop in temperature?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince

Speaking of snow, we should get some 30 cm´s of it on Friday, according to the rather hot, middle aged woman on state television that tells us about the weather :). I better dig out my winter boots, scarves and gloves and get ready for the winter hibernate. Good night, I´ll see the lot of you when the spring returns in May :bored:

Last edited:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Okay, so it would be fine to just only use a space heater when there's a drop in temperature?
Your T should do fine with temperatures around 21-24 degrees Celsius. If it´s colder than 21, you might want to turn that strange looking heater on :)

Edit: Since you´re American, 21 degrees Celsius is 69.8 Fahrenheit. So, let´s say, if it´s colder than 70 F, you might consider using it.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I keep my T room thermostat on 80 so the enclosures are usually at a constant 77 degrees with a fan to circulate the warm air. Surprisingly it only raised my electric bill by a few dollars.

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
I keep my T room thermostat on 80 so the enclosures are usually at a constant 77 degrees with a fan to circulate the warm air. Surprisingly it only raised my electric bill by a few dollars.
My problem is that I don't have a thermostat for the room, I only have one that controls the entire house. I think I'm just going to get the space heater and if the temperature in the room drops below 70 I'll turn it on.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
My problem is that I don't have a thermostat for the room, I only have one that controls the entire house. I think I'm just going to get the space heater and if the temperature in the room drops below 70 I'll turn it on.
from what i see heater you posted already has adjustable thermostat. just set it to turn on if it drops below 70 and you're golden, no need to worry about a thing. in the end that's what thermostats are used for

Methal

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone!
wouldn't worry about any heater. If your comfortable, your tarantula is going to be, as long as you dont get a very specific rainforest brand of T.
We humans are the fragile species, not the tarantulas.

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
from what i see heater you posted already has adjustable thermostat. just set it to turn on if it drops below 70 and you're golden, no need to worry about a thing. in the end that's what thermostats are used for
The heater doesn't have the actual temperature listed on it, it just says "hot" and "cold" though.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
The heater doesn't have the actual temperature listed on it, it just says "hot" and "cold" though.
from what i see it's adjustable, it has that rotary thing with small to bigger dots, figure out what dot is ~70 and keep it pointed there

Tiger181

Arachnopeon
wouldn't worry about any heater. If your comfortable, your tarantula is going to be, as long as you dont get a very specific rainforest brand of T.
We humans are the fragile species, not the tarantulas.
Nice! I'll pick one up for the winter so it won't freeze, haha

cold blood

Staff member
So do you just leave the T at room temperature and only use the space heater when it's really cold?
How much and when you need it will be completely different depending on where you live. If you are in the north like me, its pretty much going to be on 24/7 from late October till early to late may. If you live in Georgia or something, you may only need it a little on only the coldest nights.