How often do you feed???

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I want to keep my GBB healthy and I just want to make sure i'm not over feeding her. She is about 5 1/2 inches and she gets about 2 large crickets a week. Now what im thinking about doing is feeding her every 2 weeks because i've noticed her getting lethargic acting and the last thing I wanna do is rush another molt. Would this be ok feeeding her 2 crickets every 2 weeks or should I feed her more the longer I wait between feedings? Also I have some calcium dust that I have left over from my monitor. How do you feel about calcium dusting crickets? Please no flamming it's just a question.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I don't believe it is at all necessary to calcium dust for tarantulas. Feeding once every two weeks is just fine, two to three crickets would be enough. Just use your judgement, if she still seems hungry, feed her an extra cricket, not so hungry, feed less.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feed once a week. Even my smallest slings.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feed once a week. Even my smallest slings.
Really? I had heard that little slings needed to be fed several times a week. How many do you give em when you do feed them>

Just curious, I just got a 1" A. Versicolor and not sure if it needs to eat more or less than the bigger guys.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Really? I had heard that little slings needed to be fed several times a week. How many do you give em when you do feed them>
Oh no. Especially when you breed the spiderlings, its like impossible to feed them more than once a week.

It all depends on size, and size of the prey as to how often you feed.

-Sean

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I feed my slings twice a week, or about 3-4 days apart. 1 cricket usually a pin head or a hair bigger.
I feed all of my T's twice a week, usually 1 cricket. Depending on the T, I will feed more than one. And since I had a recent molt (today) he won't get fed till next week.
I check water daily, and usually fill their water dishes OR spray twice a week.
I am a beginner but have raised 4 slings to juviniles, and three juviniles to sub adults now.
And those that require a bit more food, or humidity or ventilation.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feed my grammastola rosea, (3.5in) a crric every week and a half. i don't even remember when i last feed it, i just look at the abdomen to when it's as small as the carapace... she doesn't seem to mind...

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not certain, but I have heard about complications that could arise from the T getting too much calcium. So since it isnt necessary, i wouldnt do it.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, I want to keep my GBB healthy and I just want to make sure i'm not over feeding her. She is about 5 1/2 inches and she gets about 2 large crickets a week. Now what im thinking about doing is feeding her every 2 weeks because i've noticed her getting lethargic acting and the last thing I wanna do is rush another molt. Would this be ok feeeding her 2 crickets every 2 weeks or should I feed her more the longer I wait between feedings? Also I have some calcium dust that I have left over from my monitor. How do you feel about calcium dusting crickets? Please no flamming it's just a question.
I have a 1' GBB sling and I feed him/ her every other day 2 small crickets. if you want.. since yours is clearly bigger than mine you can find a food source that is equal to one cricket like a roach of some species so then all gotta do is feed one food source instead of two just an idea

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it is pointless to say how many times a week you feed unless you say the size of crickets and size of spiders you arefeeding and temps kept at and possibly even ventilation levels but that would be hard to test

i have group of rosea born about 6 months ago that i have only fed twice and they are doing great

many variables are involved.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As of now my feeding regiment for my H. Gigas is pretty simple, I get 6 or 7 large crickets and put them in his cage and wait until I see how many vanish and how quickly, essentially gauging his appetite, etc. He recently is drying up from a molt, and turning that beautiful red, so I think his chompers will be sturdy enough to devour a little more. I'm not too worried about over feeding or stressing the spider by virtue of congestion with crickets since my tank has alot of hiding places for the buggers so its more of a natural type of feeding scenario imo.