How often do you clean inside a hide ?

Delirious122

Arachnopeon
Just a basic question I have an enclosed clay hide for my 4.5 inch b smithi however I read you shouldnt really touch the environment unless you have to. On that note its hard to spot clean inside of this hide as the hole is suitable for herself only. How often should you go in and clean that specific area of the hide?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
she should be leaving boli outside the hide in the corner some where. besides, in a large Brachypelma cage, missing 1 boli isnt really going to do anything.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
she should be leaving boli outside the hide in the corner some where. besides, in a large Brachypelma cage, missing 1 boli isnt really going to do anything.
I've a G iheringi that stores boli at the very bottom of the hide, FIRST T of mine to do this. I clean out as needed.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've a G iheringi that stores boli at the very bottom of the hide, FIRST T of mine to do this. I clean out as needed.
haha i think my muticus does the same, ive never seen a bolus in her cage. good thing its so dry.

Delirious122

Arachnopeon
I looked around with some white light while she was on the other side of her cage and I didn't see anything resembling a carcass or remains of crickets I fed her just looked like her light layer of webbing and a couple pieces of fecal matter

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I catch cup trap my terrestrial species while I clean up, including their hide area. It makes life easier and often less itchy. :D

user 666

Arachnobaron
Just a basic question I have an enclosed clay hide for my 4.5 inch b smithi however I read you shouldnt really touch the environment unless you have to. On that note its hard to spot clean inside of this hide as the hole is suitable for herself only. How often should you go in and clean that specific area of the hide?
Never.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Do you do it when it starts to look bad?
If I see boli in there I'll try to get them out. If it looks really bad then I will attempt to get them out with the catch cup method. Otherwise I let it be until the next rehouse.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I only clean out their hides if they're slobs. For the most part my Ts do their business in a corner of their enclosure (or their water dish...:shifty:). However my GBB hordes dead crickets to snuggle with at night so I have to regularly clean out his hide, which he hates. It's never a fun time.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I only clean out their hides if they're slobs. For the most part my Ts do their business in a corner of their enclosure (or their water dish...:shifty:). However my GBB hordes dead crickets to snuggle with at night so I have to regularly clean out his hide, which he hates. It's never a fun time.
LOL

Is he called Jeffrey?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
My juvy LP stores boli in her hide. It's very frustrating, but luckily she's almost never in her hide. lol

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I've never cleaned a hide out. I figure if they're filthy individuals who want trash in their home instead of dumping it outside like other spiders they'll vacate if it gets unhealthy for them. If I see something easy to get without bothering them too much I'll grab those but I won't destroy any webbing or burrows to do it. Hasn't been an issue for me but it's a good question.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Most of my spiders leave boluses outside their hides. If there are any inside the hide, I don't know about them. My pokies actually leave them hanging on web strings right outside the entrance. It's pretty funny, actually!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sometimes cleaning isn't even an option. In the ~1.5 years that my C. darlingi has been in her enclosure, I've never once found a bolus. I can actually see her trash den through the bottom of the enclosure. Full of exuvia and boluses :rolleyes:

WJHolby

Arachnopeon
I had one molt in a burrow (visible from the outside of the enclosure) and leave the exuvia in there... no big deal, right? I didn't think much of it, but a week later the thing was covered in fuzzy mold. The lower layers of sub are almost always a little moist so it was the perfect environment. Needless to say, I dug it out (straight through from the top as to not disturb the rest of the burrow)... but I still had a pretty irate T on my hands who spent the next two days cleaning up the mess I left for her!