How often do rose hair slings molt?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive hurd they grown really slow, how often do they molt?

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sloooooow. I got a 1" sling in (I think) Feb 2005, it has molted twice and is now maybe, 1 3/4". In pre-molt again right now and has been for about two months.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Much much much slower then slugs slug. ;)

I have had a .5" sling for what is it now sept, oct, nov, dec, jan, feb, mar, apr, may....... ya forever long and its done nothing, ate a few times, and not molted once.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i got a 6" rosie that i was assured was only 2 years old lol
fat chance

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, they do grow and molt very slowly, but it can also depend on how you feed them. Powerfeeding, which means offering them an all you can eat buffet, will quicken their growth process. On average though, they molt every once every 3 months when young and every 1.5-2 years when older. Those are rough estimantes, it can vary by alot!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NEVER!! They will NEVER molt! The big ones hatch out of the egg that way {D {D

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol hmm..thanks for the info, i got one coming wed. I hope it will eat at least once a week so i can get it big as fast as possible lol, i dont want to "power feed" it though.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dan, powerfeeding only works in the sling in question WANTS to eat. My G. rosea sling isn't all that thrilled about it. I feed once a week and I would say it refuses 1 out of every 4 meals. Mine is about 1 1/2 inches and is supposed to be 3 years, almost 3 1/2 years old now.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow, do they have a long lifespan then?

They sure do, and I'm willing to bet they live longer then Brachypelma species. There is a couple threads about the age of tarantulas, or the oldest tarantulas. You should look em up; very interesting stuff on there.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They sure do, and I'm willing to bet they live longer then Brachypelma species. There is a couple threads about the age of tarantulas, or the oldest tarantulas. You should look em up; very interesting stuff on there.
cool, will do.

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My rosea slings have molted on an average of every 33 days after the 3rd instar. Prior to that it was much less aroung 22-25 days. My roseas are power fed like crazy. at I6 they are now 4.5cm LS. They eat like crazy. I feed them a steady diet of pinheads everyday 3-4 pcs. 2-week old pinheads everyday and I add a mealworm every other day. :)

FlaRe

Arachnopeon
Since both ratz and myself live in the Philippines they grow much faster given our tropical climate, although, having had them the longest and comparing them with smithis, curlies, boehmeis, I would still complain they are one of the few species that grows very slow - another one in my list would be the king baboon. They just take a little more time before they remove their clothes.

Last edited:

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would still complain they are one of the few species that grows very slow - another one in my list would be the king baboon. They just take a little more time before they remove their clothes.
This is how slow My king baboon sling 3rd instar molts about every 2 months, my rosea 4th instar about every 4.

FlaRe

Arachnopeon
Both at the length of 1.5 inches, my rosies molt every 45-60 days while my KB is 60 days up.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like others have said it can vary a lot... My rosie slings have both molted but my half inch L. parahybana hasn't molted in over two months now... so it definately varies...