How often and how much to feed??????

Crosscountry

Arachnopeon
Good morning, I have a female, 5 year old B Harmorii. She loves crickets. How often and how much is a healthy way to feed her? I had so many different opinions. Thanks

Hannahs Herps

Arachnopeon
The thing about keeping Ts is there is no right or wrong way. everybody will tell you a different thing, and they probably aren't wrong. The important thing is to make sure the abdomen is always 1.5x the size of the carapace. If that means you feed 1 cricket once a week or 3 crickets once a month, it doesn't really matter, as long as that abdomen doesn't get too large or small.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good morning, I have a female, 5 year old B Harmorii. She loves crickets. How often and how much is a healthy way to feed her? I had so many different opinions. Thanks
You will never find the RIGHT answers. I like to keep Ts with a plump abdomen, some keep theirs more lean. Neither is "right". age means little, size means more at this point.

cold blood

Staff member
I had so many different opinions. Thanks
Do not get hung up on schedules!!!

As said, 1000 people could have 100 different feeding schedules and every single one of them could raise an equally healthy animal.

General rules....after molting, ts are at their thinnest and hungriest, so you can feed more often, as it plumps, a ts need for food decreases expodentially, so you can feed less often, and even smaller prey.

Also, if you feed huge prey items (in relation to the tarantulas size), you could feed much much less, while if you feed small prey, you can feed more often.

For example, you could feed an adult roach once a month, or a med cricket twice a week...even tough you are feeding crickets more often, you are actually providing more food with the big roach once a month.