How obvious should spermathecae be at 3.5"?

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My B. albiceps (ruhnaui) molted tonight, and I was checking out the fresh exuvium with a pair of magnifying glasses. The T was approximately 3.5" before the molt, and hasn't yet stretched out for a post-molt measurement.

If I look as close as I can get with the magnification, I can BARELY barely see what might possibly be the spermathecae, but I could just be optimistic. Should they be more obvious than that at that size?

Before anyone asks, I can't get a picture that close with my camera. :wall:

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sometimes they are very hard to see at that size and even on larger specimens if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. You might want to try a magnifying glass or something similar. A lot of times you can take a picture with your camera looking through a magnifying glass.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I referenced this to know exactly what spermathecae of this species should look like, and I know I was looking in the right place.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=61615&highlight=ruhnaui+spermathecae

I was using strong magnification glasses (the kind with the adjustable band around your head) and saw a VERY faint possibility. I'll have to scrounge up a magnifying glass and try the camera trick. I just don't know if she's a late bloomer, or if I'm fooling myself.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you can't get that shot try getting a good picture of the epiandrous fusillae. Sometimes it is really easy to sex from that too.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I would think it should be quite visible at that size. I sexed mine at about two inches and the spermathecae was barely visible, I suspect with the next moult I should be able to see it quite clearly. If you can't see it clearly by now, then I think you have a boy.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's what I'm suspecting. He/she put on over 1" with this moult, so I should be able to get some great ventral views when it starts climbing a bit.