How NOT to ship spiders

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow. It looks like they just grabbed the display containers off the shelf and boxed them up.

It may be just ignorance though. I take it your going to contact the seller, tell them what happened, and advise them on how to pack in the future?

Let us know how it goes.

- Sharon

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
Ive received 5 adult tarantulas shipped inside toilet paper rolls inside of the smallest flat rate box (8 inches long by 5 inches wide by 2 inches deep I think). 1 died all of the others lived. I have also received others just like the pic above, all of them lived but I sure gave a bad review! Kim

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I noticed in the first photo that the top of the box is labeled "Fragile, This Side Up". A little hard to believe someone is dumb enough to think that shippers are going to delicately carry the box right-side-up all the way to its destination. Someone needs a quick education.

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
learning experiance

I agree on waiting to see how the shipper deals with situation and I hope he handles it well for your sake and his. i would hate to see someone rep get burned cause he is new to the hobby and was too embarrassed to ask questions. I hope he/she learns from it and doesn't do that EVER again.

on the flip side, if the situation tanks for the worse and they become arrogant and don't recover the situation. please let me know the name so i don't end up with that dealer. I'm want a T and fairly new to this and would hate to get burned on the hobby cause of something like this.

good luck to you, and I hope you get the t's you want eventually either way.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If this was a regular seller/member here there is no excuse,and they should be ASHAMED..I PRAY that it was not,because I would hope that MOST of the people here would have enough sense to at least watch a youtube vid,or one of the "how to ship" posts that we have had.Or at least care enough about what they ship to avoid doing something moronic like those pictures show.ANYONE who ships like that( assuming they are a regular member) does not deserve to be in the hobby,plain and simple.Sorry,this really angers me.I have a feeling we will be hearing about another case of this happening later on as well...........

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys! I don't frequent this forum too much, but thought I should get on here more. That shipping situation sucks! Looks like packing was bad to begin with however one thing I noticed...the box was marked "fragile". I have two co-workers that used to work as temps with the USPS and both said NEVER mark a box as "fragile" cause the idiots that sort the packages think it's funny and throw those marked boxes harder than the rest. In fact my one co-worker said she witnessed one sorter take a "fragile" package and drop kick it to the sorter bin!!! I'm sure other carrier employees are just as stupid. :(

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just sold a bunch of rocks on ebay. Most of them were not that delicate. They were shipped better than that... ROCKS! .....ROCKS were shipped better than that..

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just sold a bunch of rocks on ebay. Most of them were not that delicate. They were shipped better than that... ROCKS! .....ROCKS were shipped better than that..
Wow that's just.....very sad. :(

Do they just not think where all that dirt is going to go or something? I wouldn't even ship a burrower in that way. :(

*GASP* Was that an adult GBB!? :evil::mad::wall:

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
**UPDATE**

2 more slings perished last night, so the total count is now 8.
I contacted the seller and got a refund for the dead ones. Lots of attitude though.
I will not disclose the seller's name publicly, but if you want to know the name, contact me via PM.

Wow that's just.....very sad. :(

Do they just not think where all that dirt is going to go or something? I wouldn't even ship a burrower in that way. :(

*GASP* Was that an adult GBB!? :evil::mad::wall:
It was. She is in heavy pre-molt, and I hope she didn't get hurt..

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Let me guess: seller has shipped hundreds of Ts this way and never once had a problem before, so how dare you say that s/he was in the wrong.

There is no excuse for that kind of packing. I fretted an entire day over the male I sent, until I got the message saying he arrived safely. It doesn't require much effort.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If the shipper would have put some tissue or paper towel over the substrate to keep the substrate from bouncing around the little guys probably would have made it. I've recieved several tarantulas that have been shipped that way. The smaller guys usually do okay. Not hard at all.

I had a guy send me a mean haplopelma shipped in a critter cage complete with substrate and cork hide. The guy just added a bunch of papertowels so things wouldn't bounce around. I was surprised when I got this huge box with a taped up critter cage surounded by newspaper. He was very much a beginer and kinda scared of the haplo. I also think he was kinda young. Anyways, it lived.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I don't think shipping killed those little guys... I think he found out some spidies of his died, so he was like ummm CHEAP spides ONE DAY ONLY!!! Then you buy and he ships em to you like that as a joke!!! lol, cuz nobody would be THAT stupid to ship live T's like that right?!?!?! {D

I'd call him up and be like LM<edit>AO funny stuff there, but yea... Gunna be needing live spiders like YESTERDAY yo. What a moron :wall: <--- I'm actually doing this right now

Last edited by a moderator:

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
I don't think shipping killed those little guys... I think he found out some spidies of his died, so he was like ummm CHEAP spides ONE DAY ONLY!!! Then you buy and he ships em to you like that as a joke!!! lol, cuz nobody would be THAT stupid to ship live T's like that right?!?!?! {D

I'd call him up and be like LM<edit>AO funny stuff there, but yea... Gunna be needing live spiders like YESTERDAY yo. What a moron :wall: <--- I'm actually doing this right now
LMAO--Right, I bet there is a note on the bottom that reads "thought you needed a laugh, incoming package soon! *insert big smiley face*" :liar:

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should really write a review for this person in the review section. It would help a lot of other people that might otherwise have the poor fortune of deciding to purchase spiders from this individual. It would not be rude, it would be helping out the community you are now a part of. Please do your part.

malhomme

Arachnopeon
you should really write a review for this person in the review section. It would help a lot of other people that might otherwise have the poor fortune of deciding to purchase spiders from this individual. It would not be rude, it would be helping out the community you are now a part of. Please do your part.

+ 9,999,999,999,999,999!!!

GriffinSmith

Arachnopeon
I have received a mature "A. metallica" from <edit>. It was packed in a similar fashion and the spider ended up dying a week after I received. I got no refund not even an apology :mad