How much

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How much snake experince do you think i person needs before getting a burmesse python. My brother wants one, but all he has ever had is a corn snake and a ball python.

Sobrino

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i don't think experience is the key or a burmese, common sense and strengh is important and never take out a burmese alone (if its big). They can be very unpredictable.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How much snake experince do you think i person needs before getting a burmesse python. My brother wants one, but all he has ever had is a corn snake and a ball python.
as a former owner of a 14 foot burmese, and hundreds of other snakes from around the world, i can tell you that it is not a wise choice for someone with very little snake experience.

they friendly enough, but a huge amount of work, especially cleaning up afterwards.. and in my honest opinion , not for anyone who hasnt worked with, or had large pythons before to some extent.
i would recommend getting a columbian redtail first...they are nowhere as big..but get to be an impressive size themselves..and are gorgeous.
also..a word to the wise..just make sure you dont feed them live food..ever.
thats the fastest way to get yourself killed one day..if they develop a feeding response, you will be in big trouble.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as a former owner of a 14 foot burmese, and hundreds of other snakes from around the world, i can tell you that it is not a wise choice for someone with very little snake experience.

they friendly enough, but a huge amount of work, especially cleaning up afterwards.. and in my honest opinion , not for anyone who hasnt worked with, or had large pythons before to some extent.
i would recommend getting a columbian redtail first...they are nowhere as big..but get to be an impressive size themselves..and are gorgeous.
also..a word to the wise..just make sure you dont feed them live food..ever.
thats the fastest way to get yourself killed one day..if they develop a feeding response, you will be in big trouble.
thanks for the advice. and he would never feed live, because of the risk to the snake.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the advice. and he would never feed live, because of the risk to the snake.
good to hear!
although the biggest concern is the safety of your brother..if you feed a large python live food it will probably get you one day...because they then start associating movement with feeding...not good!

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
good to hear!
although the biggest concern is the safety of your brother..if you feed a large python live food it will probably get you one day...because they then start associating movement with feeding...not good!
that's why i wouldn't get one myself. I live alone, so if something goes wrong I'm funked

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, your brother will have to have someone there to back him up every time he opens that snake's enclosure for the rest of its life. Even then, his life is in danger if something goes wrong and his backup panics or otherwise can't get him free. A snake that size can kill you by *accident*. I've been on the recieving end of someone startling my ball python while I was holding him, and I would never in a million years want to have that happen with a snake bigger than me. :eek:

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's why i wouldn't get one myself. I live alone, so if something goes wrong I'm funked
that is true..mine was very docile..but just being around my shouldres she would often tighten up to get a better grip..and would nearly suffocate me on accident:eek:
but i always had someone around..it took several people to move her, lol.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, i had them aswell,albino,normals and man can they eat:eek: awesome snakes......but i like the smaller sp. treepythons,amazons,emeralds.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think you need any experience. Sure experience is better, but the most experienced person who isn't willing to care for the snake properly is less adept to taking care of it as someone with zero experience who is willing to learn. My friend has a burmese and it is the only pet he has ever had! He hasn't even had a cat or a dog and he loves his snake and is very proud of it and takes excellent care of it. Like already mentioned, common sense is the key! Some people are experienced but they lack common sense and some people have no experience but they excel in common sense.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think you should at least study large snakes from experienced owners before getting one. especially if you plan to keep a snake like a burmese python. snakes are unpredictable, so its best to learn as much from people that raised them as possible. this way your prepared for almost anything that might happen.
i learned the hard way from my ball python that no matter how docile a snake seems, theres always a chance you'll get bit. "its not if your bitten, its when".