How Much To Feed Brand New T?

MrTCollector

Arachnopeon
Hi! So I recently purchased an Aphonopelma Chalcodes T (Desert Blonde). She's about 3 inches. I fed her 2 meal worms, and she seems to love them. I was wondering how much, and how big of meal worms I should be giving her. The current ones I gave her are still pretty small, but I mostly just wanted to be sure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphonopelma_chalcodes
Thanks in Advance for any pieces of advice! :)

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Usually, the biggest prey is the size from where the fangs are to the back of the abdomen (which is SUPER excessive). Also, tarantulas will eat until full. The bigger the abdomen is, the less they will eat. Yours is pretty chunky already, so you have nothing to worry about :D. Tarantulas really don't starve, since they can go for months without eating. Sometimes they may even go on fasts for molting or otherwise. In any case, feeding isn't a huge worry for them.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Be careful mealworms/superworms don't get in the substrate and hide. They can resurface weeks or months later and chew holes in molting tarantulas; they have vicious mouthparts. My primary feeder is crickets, and mealworms/superworms are only used on occasion. Many of my tarantulas won't eat mealworms/superworms unless they're starving.

MrTCollector

Arachnopeon
Ah thank you guys for the replies :) And I was considering crickets, but I don't feel like actually gut loading them and the such. I might eventually when I have more time for it, but my local store sells mealworms. One addition question, is it normal for my species to just in a spot for a prolong period of time? She's moved around here and there, and now she's just sitting there, move her legs a bit, then just stay in the same spot. This is my first T I got today from Ken The Bug guy, so I'm quite familiar with all T behavior yet.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Ah thank you guys for the replies :) And I was considering crickets, but I don't feel like actually gut loading them and the such. I might eventually when I have more time for it, but my local store sells mealworms. One addition question, is it normal for my species to just in a spot for a prolong period of time? She's moved around here and there, and now she's just sitting there, move her legs a bit, then just stay in the same spot. This is my first T I got today from Ken The Bug guy, so I'm quite familiar with all T behavior yet.
just let the spider hang out and such. "Gut Loading" is a phrase that should be left with reptiles. Crickets are a perfectly fine (and to be honest in my experience the best) feeder than is actually one of the more nutritious feeders.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Yep, all my T's do that too. They just like to sit and save energy (since their metabolism is so slow) Also comes down to the individual. Some like to move, some don't. I wouldn't worry :)

MrTCollector

Arachnopeon
So gut loading isn't necessary for Ts, and it's more of a reptile thing. Well that's good to know :) thanks for all the advice and knowledge everyone

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
So gut loading isn't necessary for Ts, and it's more of a reptile thing. Well that's good to know :) thanks for all the advice and knowledge everyone
how soon did you feed her after getting her? usually, a T wont eat for a while after being rehoused.

Estein

Arachnoknight
"Gut Loading" is a phrase that should be left with reptiles.
Would you mind elaborating on this for me? It seems to me that any feeder should be well fed before giving it to a T (or any predator), but maybe I'm not fully understanding the definition.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Would you mind elaborating on this for me? It seems to me that any feeder should be well fed before giving it to a T (or any predator), but maybe I'm not fully understanding the definition.
The term gut loading refers to filling it with as much nutrition as possible before feeding it, giving it that calcium stuff and ONLY THE HEALTHIEST VEGGIES to ensure they get the most growth. It's synonymous with power feeding.

Estein

Arachnoknight
The term gut loading refers to filling it with as much nutrition as possible before feeding it, giving it that calcium stuff and ONLY THE HEALTHIEST VEGGIES to ensure they get the most growth. It's synonymous with power feeding.
In what way would maximum nutrition benefit a reptile but not a tarantula? Thanks for your help!

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
In what way would maximum nutrition benefit a reptile but not a tarantula? Thanks for your help!
Because tarantulas don't need the supplements that a reptile needs, like extra calcium and vitamins.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
how soon did you feed her after getting her? usually, a T wont eat for a while after being rehoused.
Well, IME many t's will eat immediately after a rehouse, especially some of the insatiable NW terrestrials.

MrTCollector

Arachnopeon
Well I waited a good 2-3 hours maybe? She already explored, burrowed a bit. After that, she ate 2 meal worms up. First down the hatch, second one, she ate half, and just held the rest, and ate it about 5-10 mins later.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
To prevent mealworms from burrowing, crush the heads first. This way, they will move around enough to get the T's attention, but won't be able to hide and eat your T later on.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well I waited a good 2-3 hours maybe? She already explored, burrowed a bit. After that, she ate 2 meal worms up. First down the hatch, second one, she ate half, and just held the rest, and ate it about 5-10 mins later.
hey if it works thats great. theres suspicions that eating right after a rehouse settles the spider in faster.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well, IME many t's will eat immediately after a rehouse, especially some of the insatiable NW terrestrials.
i dont have that many NW terrestrials that are growing and i need to rehouse them often. i think i only have 8 or so that are growing and need to be rehoused. ive try feeding thm right away and see what happens. i have a lot of OW that take their time settling in and are very flighty after rehouses. i dont bother trying with those.