How much substrate for a P. Cambridgei sling?

forfun

Arachnopeon
So im getting a p.Cambridgei sling(2.5cm) in 2 days and i wonder how much substrate you recommend? i Know that palms love to burrow as slings as it is in their nature to do so.

Also when i am here i could also ask how much substrate GBBs and B.vagans slings prefer? About the same size as the cambridgei

Thankful for answers :)

Sergic

Arachnosquire
I'd give at least a couple inches. My two cambridgeis burrowed as slings. I've seen other members on here say the same thing. I've owned 3 psalmos, and all burrowed more than they climbed until the were about 2 inches.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
Sorry for the double post. Can't figure out how to delete the second post. If anyone knows how, or a moderator can, I'd be happy to remove this post.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also when i am here i could also ask how much substrate GBBs and B.vagans slings prefer?
GBBs (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) don't need a lot of substrate, as they generally prefer to web. Give your sling some anchor points, and watch it transform its enclosure into a silk maze with interconnected tunnels.

At 2.5 cm (~1"), a deli cup will work fine. I upgraded mine to a small Exo Terra Breeding Box (8" x 8" x 5.5") when he was 1.5".

The enclosure was a little oversized at first, but he has since grown into it (he is now 2.75") and adds to the webbing almost every day. (He left the water dish and lid alone for the first few months but has recently started webbing there as well.)

forfun

Arachnopeon
I'd give at least a couple inches. My two cambridgeis burrowed as slings. I've seen other members on here say the same thing. I've owned 3 psalmos, and all burrowed more than they climbed until the were about 2 inches.
Thanks! Then i give the sling some inches substrate and a tilted cork bark :)

Last edited:

forfun

Arachnopeon
GBBs (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) don't need a lot of substrate, as they generally prefer to web. Give your sling some anchor points, and watch it transform its enclosure into a silk maze with interconnected tunnels.

At 2.5 cm (~1"), a deli cup will work fine. I upgraded mine to a small Exo Terra Breeding Box (8" x 8" x 5.5") when he was 1.5".

The enclosure was a little oversized at first, but he has since grown into it (he is now 2.75") and adds to the webbing almost every day. (He left the water dish and lid alone for the first few months but has recently started webbing there as well.)
Okay thanks! Then i think i am well prepared :)

You have a beautiful GBB! They are stunning spiders. I will post a picture of my gbb enclosure later today when im home from work :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
For future reference, just about all slings burrow at least a little. It's good practice to give them all an inch or two of substrate at a minimum.

forfun

Arachnopeon
For future reference, just about all slings burrow at least a little. It's good practice to give them all an inch or two of substrate at a minimum.
Thanks i will do that to every sling in future. But i think avics are the only species that dont need substrate to burrow i think. My Versicolor and Peru purple avics are at the top of the enclosure 90% of the time

forfun

Arachnopeon
I already got the P.Cambridgei sling. Earlier then i thought! But wow it was the hardest one to get off the paper in the vial, lol. It attacked my little brush and didnt move when i poked him gently with the paint brush. The sling is still on the paper in the enclosure i made :rofl:

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I already got the P.Cambridgei sling. Earlier then i thought! But wow it was the hardest one to get off the paper in the vial, lol. It attacked my little brush and didnt move when i poked him gently with the paint brush. The sling is still on the paper in the enclosure i made :rofl:
Give it the option to burrow or climb, use a tall vial/container, add at least 2" of substrate slightly moist so it holds together, place a couple of twigs on top of the substrate with a fake plant (tall) and your T will be good to go, offering both options would be best.

As for you other sling I agree with the other comments, GBB, give an inch of sub and plenty of anchor points for webbing....

B. vagans - moist substrate for a sling, 2" of substrate for it to burrow, a small water dish, I use upturned Lego pieces (smallest ones) or an upturned monopoly house.

Enjoy your new slings, lovely selection of beautifully coloured species....

forfun

Arachnopeon
Give it the option to burrow or climb, use a tall vial/container, add at least 2" of substrate slightly moist so it holds together, place a couple of twigs on top of the substrate with a fake plant (tall) and your T will be good to go, offering both options would be best.

As for you other sling I agree with the other comments, GBB, give an inch of sub and plenty of anchor points for webbing....

B. vagans - moist substrate for a sling, 2" of substrate for it to burrow, a small water dish, I use upturned Lego pieces (smallest ones) or an upturned monopoly house.

Enjoy your new slings, lovely selection of beautifully coloured species....
Thanks for your suggestions! I appreciate it :) Yes they are beautiful spiders!

cold blood

Staff member
Is that a cork bark btw?
No, I use primarily driftwood.
I got a questions to you guys my p.irminia sling have dont webbings with substrate on all around his hiding place under a tilted cork bark. He got alot of food last week and he is a 2.5cm sling. Could this be a sign that the iriminia sling will go through a molt soon?
No. But that doesn't mean its not pre molt. Generally if a Psalmopeous refuses food, that's a good sign.