How much space is actually needed?

Techolizzard

Arachnopeon
I've been reading up on some of the afs species, and most places have them in 10 gallon tanks. However... they all seem to just hang out in a burrow the vast majority of the time. Do they really need tons of floor space when they are couch potatoes?

I have some 6.5x11x6 enclosures and want to find some species that would work, but didn't want to hurt something like an adult afs in one.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I've been reading up on some of the afs species, and most places have them in 10 gallon tanks. However... they all seem to just hang out in a burrow the vast majority of the time. Do they really need tons of floor space when they are couch potatoes?

I have some 6.5x11x6 enclosures and want to find some species that would work, but didn't want to hurt something like an adult afs in one.
At adult size there would BARELY be enough space for the scorpion to turn around in that container...

Techolizzard

Arachnopeon
Some minor corrections to my original post -- I didn't want to put an adult AFS in one of these, but a sling (which is right now slightly larger than a penny) until they get bigger. The question on them being couch potatoes led me into asking what other kinds tend to just hang out in smaller areas like burrows. And I was also looking for small(er) species that would work well in something that size as a whole. Not sure how I managed to delete a chunk of my post before I executed it:( My fault!

-Liz

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Some minor corrections to my original post -- I didn't want to put an adult AFS in one of these, but a sling (which is right now slightly larger than a penny) until they get bigger. The question on them being couch potatoes led me into asking what other kinds tend to just hang out in smaller areas like burrows. And I was also looking for small(er) species that would work well in something that size as a whole. Not sure how I managed to delete a chunk of my post before I executed it:( My fault!

-Liz
A sling would be fine in there but you would have to rehouse it when it gets bigger...

There are smaller species that would work for that enclosure size but you would first have to ask yourself, which type of scorpion and how medically significant would you want and then you could explore the different species. Most of mine are arid species... :)

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
That size enclosure would be fine for a scorpling, you'll just upsize the enclosure as it gets bigger! You'd need to keep humidity etc up though, especially when it molts.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've kept animals in small enclosures like that. It's definitely not ideal but it's not going to actively harm them unless they need to molt. Something 4x their body size would be ideal

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha yep, everyone left facebook and their groups as they clamped down on classifieds, so im back here like the good ol days!

The Toecutter

Arachnopeon
I've kept animals in small enclosures like that. It's definitely not ideal but it's not going to actively harm them unless they need to molt. Something 4x their body size would be ideal
Exactly.
When I started with scorps I read people who insisted that you have 10gal etc tanks.
I've since long gotten rid of all that.

Size the enclosure to the animal. Although I go slightly larger than groms suggestion, maybe 5-6 times size of animal? At most.

Imagine yourself in said enclosure (1 to 1 size comparison) would you want to be in a box the size of a football pitch chasing a rabbit for din-din?
:)