How much should I ask for adult GBB

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im thinking of selling my female GBB but I don't know how much I should ask. She is about 5-5 1/2 in. give or take. Just curious, Thanks

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks.....Should I try to breed her? I've heard it is pretty hard because they don't take to the males.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks.....Should I try to breed her? I've heard it is pretty hard because they don't take to the males.
you can give it a shot. the only thing you would be risking is that she would kill (and eat) the male if she didnt like him. but you should be able to tell almost right away if she is going to mate with him or not.

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GBB breeding

Hi,
I would most definitely give it a try. All we can do is learn more!
I had my female co-habitate w/ multiple males for a three month period. I witnessed multiple meetings between them with no aggression. I also had them paired in a large 35 gallon terrarium w/ multiple hides. I have also heard of other pairings w/ no aggression towards males. The males I used were quite large and healthy.
I also heard that there may be a GBB mating article in a future BTS magazine.
Arachnoheebs just produced spiderlings late this summer. He might be a good person to ask.
Hope this helps!
Jon

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry. All I can tell you is my male ended up being dinner. I have heard from several people though that they are very hard to breed. Contact some of the breeders like Botar, or maybe ask Varden, she does a lot of breeding.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
probly 125- 150
That's insane, It's never made sense to me why the older the animal is the more it expensive. I would think it would cost more for the animal that has a longer life span ahead of it. But whatever, just means I can buy a T sling for way cheaper then an adult.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's insane, It's never made sense to me why the older the animal is the more it expensive. I would think it would cost more for the animal that has a longer life span ahead of it. But whatever, just means I can buy a T sling for way cheaper then an adult.
It's not the life span that is worth the money, It's the ability to make babies. Adults are disired for that reason and that's where the money is.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:D You should sell her to me..... for hmm 1 dollar and get half of the babies when I breed her lol. :D

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess so, but I'm coming from this as a non-breeder. To me I'm paying for an animal that's going to last, not give me babies.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess so, but I'm coming from this as a non-breeder. To me I'm paying for an animal that's going to last, not give me babies.
I understand but remember, breeding is needed for the nonbreeders too.

lupe21

Arachnopeon
cant some female tarantulas live a pretty long time maybe more than 10 years how long would a female giant white knee live or a female colbalt blue live because 10 years plus to me is a long time

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It varies on allot of things. How the Ts are kept and fed, species to species its different too...... but over all Id sat 7-12 years is average for all. Some species like B Smithi are known to go 20+ regularly. There are tons if factors that contribute though so there is no set answer. One person could have had a Gbb that made it 4 years and another had one that went 15. Who knows lol.

Akitayoji

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got my GBB for $60, she was about 4" and unsexed. I was told that I got her at a pretty good price and from a reputable dealer.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think the price of an adult t is more, not because of breeding, but because of the care that went into getting it to an adult. By "care" I mean feeding, watering, cleaning, and generally making sure you provide everything the sling needs to make it to adult.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
read his orriginal post...its a FEMALE. females are worth more because of the "longer life span ahead of it." in case you havent picked it up from other hobbists yet....FEMALES LIVE CONSIDERABLY LONGER!!!!!!!!! when you buy a sling there is no way to tell male from female...hence why they are cheaper. not to mention the time (sometimes years) it took to raise that sling to a mature female able to produce offspring.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's not the life span that is worth the money, It's the ability to make babies. Adults are disired for that reason and that's where the money is.
omg there is money in this? You can actually make money in this hobby?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, you sure can. ;)
GET OUTTA HERE?! you mean i could spend 800 for a guranteed female p.metallica and 300 for a male.....she could have an eggsac with 200 nymphs...which sell for 175-225 per 1" sling....that equals out to a profit?! NO WAY!!! man...i knew i should have paid more attention in math class!{D :D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Cool it guys. There isn't truly that much money to make as a hobbyist. I don't care how the math equals up. You're gonna fail WAY more with rare sp. then suceed. There's prices for vials, food, substrate, all that stuff.
When you guys really get into breeding tarantulas, you'll find out.

-Sean