how much is too much UV for emperor scorpions? Does it matter to mist at night or in the morning?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not a UV expert. But my suggestion is to stay away from Reptile specific lights and black lights. Obvious exceptions for the black lights would be for photography, collecting, or trying to find an escapee.

For misting, I like to do it before I go to bed. Then they are able to drink the droplets if they wish, before they evaporate. But if you have a water dish, then that doesn't matter.

:)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you expose your scorpion to UV light for hours, it could be detrimental, so you should only use such a lightsource briefly.
Regarding the spraying, I second Nomadinexile...

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
one cousin told me it killed his scorpion, and im worried because i went away for 2 weeks and the UV light was on timer 6 hours a night, and hes not as active now, but he hasn't molted in this year, that im aware of, and i dont know what it looks like when hes trying to molt. its a cheap flourecent screw in bulb, not incandecent. but maybe hes just molting?

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
one cousin told me it killed his scorpion, and im worried because i went away for 2 weeks and the UV light was on timer 6 hours a night, and hes not as active now, but he hasn't molted in this year, that im aware of, and i dont know what it looks like when hes trying to molt. its a cheap flourecent screw in bulb, not incandecent. but maybe hes just molting?
Get rid of it. If the scorpion is exposed to constant lighting, it'll eventually impact its health. At the very least, it'll hide more and explain its inactivity.

If you're talking about a blacklight, that might end up killing your scorpion. Keep in mind they're nocturnal, burrowing animals. You could offer a florescent light without UVA/B to simulate a day/night cycle if the scorpion has enough room to burrow in, but it's not really necessary. Maybe if the enclosure has live plants, but definitely avoid the reptile-specific bulbs in all cases.