How much handling is too much handling?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is a question primarily for the extremely docile T's. Is there a problem with taking them out like 2-3 times a week and gently letting them walk around on your hand? How much is too much?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well if you are safe with it nothing is wrong with it. Safe meaning you sit on the ground so if it falls from your hands the fall does not injury the T. I know there are some people the will say other wise. I don't even really handle my Ts.
I will say though if you want a more interactive pet you might want to get something else.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
there is no cut and dry answer. and you are gonig to have people telling you that any handling is too much.

but basically i try to gear handling around each individual bug i own. if a spider indicates it does not "want" to be handled then i don't... but if a spider isn't kicking a lot of hair and isn't killing itself trying to get away from you then you probably aren't handling it too much.

conversely, if there is a bug you have that just seems to fail to thrive... you might consider that it is a more nervous individual and try to put it someplace quiet and not bother it

short of medically significant stuff, you can handle just about anything as long as you know what you are doing and willing to accept the consequences when you don't

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my opinion handling a tarantula when its not for cage maintance, icu, transfering a T to a bigger enclosure, or removing an egg sac is too much handling.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is really a matter of opinion. Some people would say any handling is to much, some people would say once a week is good.
You need to decide that on your own. I, personally, am of the opinion that I only handle when it is necessary. One close call is all it takes to change your mind. They can easily fall or leap to their death when held. I just don't see that is is worth the risk.
You need to decide what is good for you, this is an endless debate on the boards, everyone believes something different.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think 2 or 3 times a week, every week is too much. I just rehoused a B. smithi and it's taking it over a week to make the rounds of the new enclosure. These animals are used to sitting in one spot for weeks. The don't like anything to change around them. If you handle that much it will never settle in and be stressed.

My theory is that the docile spiders are actually the brave, fearless ones and the aggressive kinds are afraid and scared. Probably because of having natural predators. OBT's are aggressive because they have to be in Africa where a Rosie only has to worry about the occasional rodent(which are sometimes lunch).

As cool as it is to hold a big spider, they just don't think it's so cool. You pick them up and they go "WTF!"

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i NEVER hold any of my ( t -s ) to much risk to them and me %%% phil

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As cool as it is to hold a big spider, they just don't think it's so cool. You pick them up and they go "WTF!"
This is pretty much my opinion on the matter. YOU may like it, but the spider doesn't. Even a "docile" spider might just be too scared to fight back or make a break for it--I've heard of plenty of H. lividum seeming "tame and docile" after a stressful shipping trip and being put into a new environment. But once they recover...{D Which is a good indicator that what we interpret as happy and calm may not be what's actually going on.

Much like people who misinterpret an active tarantula as a good thing, and an inactive tarantula as a bad thing.

Handling doesn't do them any good, only entertains the handler. Personally, I'd rather they be happy than entertain myself at their expense.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say any handling is too much, but if you look at my photo thread you will know I am lying. I do handle but very rarely. Mainly only to move some of the more docile species for a photo shoot. I have two others that i will pick up on rare occasions to show people the size and that they are not bloodthirtsy maniacs.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Really, I handle all my inverts. But that doesn't mean I handle them all often. After awhile, it gets kind of boring holding say, G. rosea, and too much trouble to handle, say P. irminia just for the heck of it. So I go through spells of not handling any of them. Then when its time for photos, or cleaning/re-housing cages, out they all come.

So I kinda regulate how often, just by my schedule.

-Sean

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I only hold mine when she comes to me. Which is anytime Im trying to clean... or anything like that...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I handle any of my Ts, but not often. I personally don't think Ts should be handled more then 2-3 times a month. It's just unnecessary stress being added to them. They will never learn or adjust to being handled, so everytime is like the first time. I don't entirely disagree with handling though; it's one of the best experiences you can have.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there is no cut and dry answer. and you are gonig to have people telling you that any handling is too much.

but basically i try to gear handling around each individual bug i own. if a spider indicates it does not "want" to be handled then i don't... but if a spider isn't kicking a lot of hair and isn't killing itself trying to get away from you then you probably aren't handling it too much.

conversely, if there is a bug you have that just seems to fail to thrive... you might consider that it is a more nervous individual and try to put it someplace quiet and not bother it

short of medically significant stuff, you can handle just about anything as long as you know what you are doing and willing to accept the consequences when you don't

Very good post Caco! :clap:

I agree--we should decide how much handling is too much based not on a set-in-stone arbitrary number, but on the effect it actually has on the animal. Some species, and individuals within species, take handling better than others. Even the same individuals can vary from day to day. I think the rule of thumb should be something like: handling is ok to the point of harming the T. If your T tolerates handling every day of the week, with no ill effects, then hey, go for it! But if your T is showing signs of cumulative stress after 1 handling per week, then you need to lay off. A number cannot sum up the effects your handling will have on a variety of species with diverse temperaments and tolerances. Just keep in mind the behaviour of your T as you handle--nervousness, change in behaviour when handling has been frequent, injuries to the T, excessive flicking or abrasions are all reasons to not handle your T.

Bottom line: we keep these animals for our own enjoyment. If you enjoy handling, that's fine, they are your pets. But be aware that you may be harming your animal by doing so. If you want to keep your pet healthy as well as enjoying it, you should keep an eye on your pet's behaviour and appearance to make sure that handling is kept within healthy limits.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I posted above that they don't want to be held....but I have held my rosie and pink toe and striped knee.....during enclosure changes. Only when I have to get them out anyway. The rosie, piece-o-cake. The A. seemani, a little quick. The pinkie, way too jumpy! I have had my rosie over 10 years and have held her maybe 8 times. The other two once or twice each and I have a bunch others that I would never handle.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think 2 or 3 times a week, every week is too much. I just rehoused a B. smithi and it's taking it over a week to make the rounds of the new enclosure. These animals are used to sitting in one spot for weeks. The don't like anything to change around them. If you handle that much it will never settle in and be stressed.

My theory is that the docile spiders are actually the brave, fearless ones and the aggressive kinds are afraid and scared. Probably because of having natural predators. OBT's are aggressive because they have to be in Africa where a Rosie only has to worry about the occasional rodent(which are sometimes lunch).

so now Ts can sat WTF??? lol id love to hear that lol of xourse if i did pick one up and it said WTF id prob throw it and then it would go WWWWWTTTTTTFFFFFF.....ok now back to the real world

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so now Ts can sat WTF??? lol id love to hear that lol of xourse if i did pick one up and it said WTF id prob throw it and then it would go WWWWWTTTTTTFFFFFF.....ok now back to the real world
They don't SAT WTF, they SAY WTF. and of xourse, oh I mean of COURSE, they don't actually SAY WTF, but the point is they don't want to be picked up. Now back to spelling 101. In the real world. {D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I handle any of my Ts, but not often. I personally don't think Ts should be handled more then 2-3 times a month. It's just unnecessary stress being added to them. They will never learn or adjust to being handled, so everytime is like the first time. I don't entirely disagree with handling though; it's one of the best experiences you can have.
i think lots of my bugs adjust to behind free handled by me. comparing the first time i hold arboreal tarantulas to the third to the 7th time it seems like the tarantula becomes less and less nervous.

on the other hand, granted, my little baby P. murinus act like nuts regardless... but other tarantulas go from absolutely "hating" walking on me to seeming pretty blase about it.